Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my 5Ghz band crapped out?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CloseToHome

CloseToHome

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Hi folks! I have had a DIR-822 Dlink dual band router for a little bit more than a year now. Recently, I have been experience problems on my 5Ghz connection.

The first problem is a bit weird. I cannot connect to "google.com" on Apple devices using my 5Ghz wireless connection. That is the only website I cannot connect to on my iPhone, all other apps that requires internet connection and other websites works just fine. Furthermore, I even had my friend over and he couldn't access Google on my 5Ghz with his iPhone. To add to this problem, Google SOMETIMES connects while on my laptop. It will work most of the time when I'm trying to Google something, but sometimes it would not connect to the website and I have to refresh a few times before it loads up again. To reiterate, these problems only persist on my 5Ghz wireless connection. When I switch over to my 2.4Ghz connection, everything works.

The other problem that I experienced yesterday is that I get big lag spikes while playing multiplayer games on 5Ghz. I never had a problem with it before, until now. One game doesn't even let me play now because I can't connect to other peers. I have been gaming with my 5Ghz connection on my laptop for more than a year already with no problems, and now, I am experiencing major lag spikes in games like CSGO which makes it unplayable. Once I change back to my 2.4Ghz wifi, everything is back to normal.

Is my router defunct? I haven't factory reset the router yet, but I installed the newest firmware upgrade yesterday thinking that it would solve the problem, but no avail. I am the only person who connects to my router as I live by myself. However, I do live in a condo and I have already played around with the channels for my 5Ghz connection, which is at 165 right now. Nothing I try is fixing my 5Ghz problems.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by CloseToHome, 03 January 2018 - 03:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Something that affects a majority 5GHz connections is how items are placed in the house. Normally, 5GHz can be considered faster but can lose it's connection through walls, furniture, and other things. It's recommended by most people that you use 2.4GHz, the only thing that really affects it are microwave ovens.

You may be able to call your ISP and they may be willing to send someone out to check everything for you.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users