Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My hard-drive is not showing in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AlexJones

AlexJones

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hello everybody and thank you for taking your time to check out this thread smile.gif

*Update* It works all of a sudden.

Well I was about to leave Starbucks but I sat around because I noticed that windows 10 was doing a big fall update.

Which took about 90 minutes to finish up, after it was all finished, I just thought what the heck I'll plug in the Hard Drive. And alas! It works, I don't know why it works. But all I can say is how much I appreciate the time you took to help me out, and troubleshoot through all the things, I think the cool part about it is that I'm still learning new things whenever something on my PC doesn't work.

So hats off to y'all thanks for taking the time to help me out. :D

*Update*

I recently bought a new laptop for college and I'm having difficulty with connecting an external WD My Passport 1tb hard drive to the computer.

I should say that I used to be a computer technician and so I'm decently computer savvy, I just can't figure this one out. I've also been using the same cable and hard drive on multiple other computers and have had absolutely no problems.

Here's what I've done so far:

At first go I plugged in my Portable HDD without giving thought that it wouldn't work into a USB 3.0 Port, at first glance I saw the lights come on on the outside of the hard drive and it was spinning up. However after waiting for about a minute I noticed I wasn't getting the "What should we do with this hard drive" prompt. So that's when I decided to go open Windows Explorer and I saw nothing in My PC.

So I opened Device Manager and I saw the infamous yellow icon, so I slapped update driver and windows pulled the driver from the internet and downloaded and installed it. Now no longer is there the icon but I still have the same problem.

Attached File  Device Manager.PNG   38.78KB   0 downloads

So I opened disk management and I see that the computer sees that there's something there, in fact I'll put a picture here of what I see.

Attached File  Disk Management.PNG   30.65KB   0 downloads

So then I think well maybe I need to manually assign the drive a letter so I open up cmd and type in diskpart, then when that opens up I wrote list volume, but I don't even see my external hdd volume to assign it a letter.

Attached File  List Volume.PNG   19.37KB   0 downloads

So now I don't really know what to do at this point. Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated thank you so much! smile.gif

Edited by AlexJones, 03 January 2018 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

how exactly are you connecting it to the computer?

yes i realize you are using USB....but is it in an enclosure of any kind?....if so what enclosure?

is the enclosure powered?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

In Disk Management Disk 1 is your External Drive? I'm not sure why it's showing Unallocated Space Before your first primary partition but it looks like you need to assign a drive letter to both Primary partitions.

#4 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the quick response, 

So yea I'm essentialy using this device here

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Drive-Storage/dp/B006Y5UV4A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I guess I don't understand what you mean by enclosure so I'll try to explain a bit better. I have a 6" cable that goes from the hard drive to the laptop via usb 3.0 so nothing special there. 

There's no enclosure of any kind, unless you mean the portable hard drive and yea it's got a case of some sort. 

And no it's not powered.

Though this is one thing I was thinking that might fix my problem would be getting a powered usb 3.0 hub and then connecting through this. However this is rather undesirable and I'm trying to avoid this route if possible.

Edited by AlexJones, 03 January 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

the laptop may not be able to provide enough power for the drive via USB

#6 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

In Disk Management Disk 1 is your External Drive? I'm not sure why it's showing Unallocated Space Before your first primary partition but it looks like you need to assign a drive letter to both Primary partitions.

Yea I was rather confused by this as well, on my other computers it doesn't report like this. In fact here's a photo of my passport on another computer listed as working fine. 

Mikey, I'm hoping that this is not the case, but if it is, do you know of any ways to confirm that this would be the problem?

Attached Files

#7 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

The disk drive in your first original post shows the volume as 1.5tb while your second picture in the last post shows your passport as 1TB. Something definitely off.

Have you tried a different passport or external drive to see if the usb port is working correctly on your laptop?

#8 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Thanks again guys for the responses and help.

The disk drive in your first original post shows the volume as 1.5tb while your second picture in the last post shows your passport as 1TB. Something definitely off.

Have you tried a different passport or external drive to see if the usb port is working correctly on your laptop?

Yea I know it seems off but I promise it's the same hard drive just plugged into two different computers.

And yes I just plugged in a USB 3.0 32gb Sandisk pen drive and it works just fine. Mind you this is a brand new laptop. I guess I could also do some justice in putting in the laptops specs here.

https://www.cnet.com/g00/products/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-3448-14-core-i7-3667u-windows-8-pro-64-bit-8-gb-ram-240-gb-ssd-series/specs/?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D&i10c.ua=1

It's listed here as windows 8 but it's actually a windows 10. other than that it should be the same laptop.

Thank's and cheers!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

I bet this is some kind of Windows problem if the external works fine on another computer or it could hardware. If you want to confirm it then boot a live linux distro like Mint and attach the drive. If Mint sees it as normal then something in Windows is borked.

But as already been posted it's possible your USB ports aren't providing enough power for an external hard drive. If this is a brand new computer and the drive works using a powered USB hub I would RMA it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#10 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Okay, I'm going to go run to starbucks and bum off of their wifi because it would take forever to download mint from here. I'll keep you updated thank you.

#11 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Windows would at least report the disk as 1TB on the laptop, not 1.5tb.

Mint or Ubuntu live cd would at least give you a better look at the drive.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings before Mint will boot. Go with Mint Cinnamon. It's good for people coming from Windows.

As far as disabling SecureBoot some computers require you to set a Supervisor Password before they allow you to disable SecureBoot. I'm not sure how this is down on Thinkpads.

The X1 has a boot menu by tapping F12. You may need to disable fast startup in Windows 8.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/F1-and-F12-don-t-function-at-boot-time/td-p/1007635

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

If Hibernation is enabled I would disable that to. 

#13 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

I was actually thinking about some bios setting stuff as well. Anyways heres the update, I got to StarBucks and downloaded Ubuntu  (I have very limited knowledge on this system, but I have had to use it a couple times before in my life. So it's not completely new to me.)

Here's a screen shot of what ubuntu says after I plugged in my passport, I should mention I'm simply running Ubuntu off that USB 3.0 32GB Sandisk Driver. I didn't install it at all.

Anyways here's the photo, and I don't really know what it means.

Attached File  Screenshot from 2018-01-03 19-29-40.png   430.19KB   0 downloads

Edited by AlexJones, 03 January 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#14 AlexJones

AlexJones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings before Mint will boot. Go with Mint Cinnamon. It's good for people coming from Windows.

As far as disabling SecureBoot some computers require you to set a Supervisor Password before they allow you to disable SecureBoot. I'm not sure how this is down on Thinkpads.

The X1 has a boot menu by tapping F12. You may need to disable fast startup in Windows 8.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/F1-and-F12-don-t-function-at-boot-time/td-p/1007635

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

If Hibernation is enabled I would disable that to. 

thanks for linking me to this, but I don't have fastboot on at all, infact bios tells me to hit enter if I want to change anything for almost 3 seconds before it goes into loading the os, so it won't be a problem for me to change some settings in BIOS if needed.

However first I'll wait for your response on the Ubuntu part.

Thank you again everybody :)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Click on the ubuntu icon in the launcher (dash) and do a search for Disks. Provide a screenshot if possible. This may be due to the fast startup setting in Windows 8. I would disable both fast startup and hibernation. Then open a command prompt and type

shutdown /f /s /t 0

Reboot Ubuntu and see if you can mount the disk. 

Missed your post. Do the complete shutdown command above and boot Ubuntu again. Can it mount the disk? 

If not ,if possible, I would connect the disk to a computer that can read the drive. Backup all your data. I would then run chkdsk on the drive. If you still have a problem I would download Partition Wizard. Run the program and delete all partitions. I would then create a NTFS primary partition. You can try this on the new computer first after backing up all your data.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/create-partition.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2018 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users