Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my GPU not performing as it should be?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

I have a Acer Aspire E15 - E5-553G-T7Q5 laptop. 
CPU : AMD A10 - 9600P
GPU : AMD Radeon R8 M445DX (at least that's what the stickers says but in Radeon settings it says I have R7, I'll get to that in a bit)
RAM : 8 gb
Windows 10, 64 bit, 1 TB HDD

So, with these settings I should be able to play GTA IV without any fps drops, right? That's what "Can you run it" tells me. I even go pass the recommended requirements. But even with the lowest settings I still get 25 FPS on average. When I'm inside of a building, in a tunnel, the FPS is really nice, the game is really smooth. But on the outside, it's usually around 15-30 fps. Is it because my GPU is not enough? The weird thing is, I'm having an excelent performance in Skyrim which requires about the same as GTA IV. Is the problem in the game or my GPU?

So back to the GPU thing. In the sticker it says that this laptop has AMD Radeon R8 445DX with 2 GB of dedicated VRAM. But in the Radeon settings, it shows up as I have R7 M340. The thing is, I blocked Windows Updates because when I enable it, it automaticly updates my graphics drivers and as a result, for some reason Radeon settings does not open. I want to open it because it has options to enable switchable graphics, which uses the better one when gaming. When I disable Windows Updates and make the graphics card updates only via AMD's own update tool, Radeon settings work but like I said, it shows as I have R7. What's the issue here? Should I enable Windows update and not worry about Radeon settings?

It really feels like I'm not getting the best out of my GPU because of this issue. I thought I could run most games fine. (My battery setting is set to maximum performance)

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Interesting link for you - https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R8-M445DX-Dual-Graphics-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169457.0.html

"The AMD Radeon R8 M445DX is a Dual Graphics combination of the integrated Radeon R5 (Bristol Ridge, e.g. in the A10-9600P) and a dedicated Radeon R7 M440 graphics card...   In our gaming tests, the performance of the Dual Graphics combination depends on the driver support. Except 3DMark benchmarks however, we saw nearly no game that could profit from the Crossfire combination with the launch drivers. Currently, buyers should only see the R8 M445DX as a single R7 M440."

So reading that it appears there is no Radeon R8 M445DX "chip" as such.  It is just AMD's name for a combination of the iGPU contained in Bristol Ridge CPU's, and the R7 M440 discrete GPU (which is apparently identical in spec to the R7 M340).

Looking into it further, regarding the R7 M440 dedicated GPU performance - https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M440-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169455.0.html

"The gaming performance is comparable to the Radeon R7 M340 (as it has the same specs) or an Nvidia GeForce 920M. Therefore, demanding games of 2015 and 2016 may only be playable in the lowest detail settings and low resolutions."

I know GTA IV is an old game now, but IIRC the PC version was notorious for being badly optimised, even struggling on PC's with much higher spec's than the "recommended".  See - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2827405/gta-low-performance-high-end.html

I would recommend allowing Windows updates.  There are some critical security patches issued from time to time and if you're on the internet with an unpatched machine, it's asking for trouble.  As far as I know, there's nothing to stop you manually installing the AMD drivers downloaded directly from their website.  I've read however that the very latest one, the "Adrenaline Edition" may be one to skip if you still play DirectX 9 games.  Apparently it breaks (some of) them - https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245388/components-graphics/amd-fix-radeon-software-adrenalin-bug-dx9-games.html

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users