Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on network teaming + Hyper-v switches

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aj84

aj84

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hi all and happy new year!

I'm a newbie on here although I've come across BC a number of times and as usual, it takes a problem to get one to join and so here I am :- )

I ended up buying a HP DL380 G7 server from an office who had decomissioned it as I needed reliability and power and this fit the bill perfectly.

On the whole it does it's job fine but now that I am opening it up to do more, I've hit a snag with my lack of knowledge on how teaming/hyper-v switches work.

The server had 4x HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit and 4x Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port LP Server adapters.

Currently, the 4 HP ones have a network cable going from each of the 4 adapter to a Netgear switch.

All 4 are teamed into one connection.

And the one network teaming is what Hyper-V uses as a single switch.

This works fine and within the internal network, it's working really quick too when it comes to transferring files to and from the server and each VM.

What I am after is this is basically to have a few Hyper-v virtual adapters rather than just the one:

1. Full network ability with outside access too

2. Internal network ability only to talk within the network

3. Ideally another with outside access ONLY

I still want teaming to provide redudancy on the adapters although as they all go to one switch, I know if the switch dies then there will be 0 network.

In terms of "uptime", the tin server needs to stay up in terms of network regardless.

the VM's are a mixture - one of them controls the home automation in the house and so this needs to also have redundancy.

My thoughts are if I put in another 4 cables to feed into the Intel network adapters, this gives me 8.  Can I have it so:

1x team = 1 Intel + 1 HP for the HP server itself

1x team = 1 intel + 1 HP for an outside facing connection only

1x team = 1 intel + 1 HP for an outside + inside facing connection

1x team = 1 intel + 1 HP for an outside + inside facing connection for the automation VM only.

Is this do-able or have I misunderstood the concept of teaming + hyper-v switches altogether?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users