Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Warning Message: You appear to have Malwarebytes installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hi all!

Today, I received the following warning message from Emsisoft Anti-Malware:

You appear to have installed the following Antivirus / Antimalware program(s):

Malwarebytes

Having more than one active antivirus/antimalware program installed at a time may cause slowness, lock-ups and may even lead to your system being unstable or damaged. It is strongly advised to remove the other antivirus/antimalware software to avoid the above mentioned incompatibility issues.

I have of course already read the corresponding Emsisoft Blog post;

https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/12/18/do-not-run-multiple-antivirus/

However, personally, I have not experienced any of the aforesaid issues.

So hence, my question is as follows;

Do I really have to remove Malwarebytes or is it enough to exclude EAM and MB from monitoring each other?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus and should run alongside your existing antivirus software without problems.

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.x...we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.x.

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.x, a next-generation antivirus replacement

...For our users who do prefer to continue using a traditional antivirus alongside Malwarebytes, by all means please continue to do so. Malwarebytes will always maintain compatibility with all major security software on the market, both free and paid. In particular, Microsoft’s traditional antivirus Windows Defender is included by default and for free with Windows 8 and 10, and is a useful additional layer alongside Malwarebytes 3.x.

Malwarebytes 3.x FAQs: Third-Party Testing & Antivirus Replacement

However, EAM will check for additional security software (antivirus/antimalware) during installation and advise accordingly. I have received similar warnings from EAM and just ignore it since I too have never experienced any conflicts. As such, I have never even found the need to exclude them from monitoring each other but doing so is at your own risk.

Older versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware were designed to be compatible with almost all anti-virus programs. Newer EAM versions are not always fully compatible anymore because of changes in technology and efforts to employ exploit mitigation. That's why Emsisoft updated their Knowledgebase articles some time ago...Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (17 February 2016)

No
Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution...We now strongly discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time, as doing so will unnecessarily slow down the computer. The modules of multiple antivirus programs can also conflict with each other, potentially missing detections and ultimately resulting in a failure to protect the computer at all. Emsisoft provides no warranty that the software will work in combination with other security products that incorporate a complete antivirus module. The use of two or more antivirus programs is at your own risk.

Are Emsisoft products a replacement for other security products? (05 July 2016)

Yes!
Emsisoft products are designed to provide comprehensive protection without the need for supplementary security products...Emsisoft products demonstrate top performance and maximum security when used as standalone programs within in their category. We now strongly discourage users from running two or more full antivirus products at the same time.

With the release and improvements for each new EAM version, I am finding less need for using Malwarebytes and have already removed it from one of my computers.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus and should run alongside your existing antivirus software without problems.

However, EAM will check for additional security software (antivirus/antimalware) during installation and advise accordingly. I have received similar warnings from EAM and just ignore it since I too have never experienced any conflicts. As such, I have never even found the need to exclude them from monitoring each other but doing so is at your own risk.

Older versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware were designed to be compatible with almost all anti-virus programs. Newer EAM versions are not always fully compatible anymore because of changes in technology and efforts to employ exploit mitigation. That's why Emsisoft updated their Knowledgebase articles some time ago...

With the release and improvements for each new EAM version, I am finding less need for using Malwarebytes and have already removed it from one of my computers.

So you are implying that I should not exclude them from monitoring each other, which is perfectly fine with me.

However, just a month ago I purchased a 2-year license for Malwarebytes 3 Premium, so are you also implying that I should not automatically renew my license in December 2019?

And, consequently, are you implying that I instead should renew my license for HitmanPro.Alert, or is HMP.A still redundant?

And lastly, can I still continue to use CryptoPrevent Free, WinPatrol PLUS, SpywareBlaster Free and Unchecky, or are any of these redundant as well?

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 03 January 2018 - 10:27 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

So you are implying that I should not exclude them from monitoring each other, which is perfectly fine with me.

No. For me, I have never found the need to use exclusions unless there was a problem I was trying to resolve.

However, just a month ago I purchased a 2-year license for Malwarebytes 3 Premium, so are you also implying that I should not automatically renew my license in December 2019?

No. That is a year away and I whould wait to see what changes or additional features are introduced before making a decision for automatic renewal.

And, consequently, are you implying that I instead should renew my license for HitmanPro.Alert, or is HMP.A still redundant?

No. I no longer see the need for using HMP.A.

And lastly, can I still continue to use CryptoPrevent Free, WinPatrol PLUS, SpywareBlaster Free and Unchecky, or are any of these redundant as well?

Yes. They each provide different functions than traditional anti-virus/anti-malware programs, although I have never seen the need to use Unchecky since I carefully monitor anything I install and Emsisoft will warn about the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) if you enable that feature.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you again for the reply! :)

So I should wait and see...great! Yes, I have enabled the anti-PUP feature in EAM. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

You're welcome.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

I do realize this is quite a bit late, but anyway;

Just thought that I should let you know that today, I eventually decided to downgrade Malwarebytes 3 Premium to Free, in order to keep it, but without the potential risks being outlined in the Emsisoft Blog post, which BTW states that;

We encourage you to check your protected system with a second opinion scanner from time to time, just to be sure that your main antivirus/antimalware hasn’t missed anything. Scanner-only products typically don’t have any issues running alongside protection products so it’s safe to use them.

Thank you again!

Regards,

midimusicman79

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

Yes...on demand second opinion scanners typically do not include any real-time protection so they don't cause the same kind of conflicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users