Hello. Im running 64-bit Windows OS 8.1 on my dell laptop. 1.70GHz Intel Celeron CPUB820. 4GB Installed RAM. Im having a problem accessing my Seagate 3TB Backup Plus External Harddrive.
After arriving from a New Years party, i figured I would free up some space on my laptop and transfer it to my external backup. When i turned it on and plugged it in, I opened Windows Explorer. I saw my external drive there, and clicked on it, but then the address bar started shading in as Green, like it was loading, or trying to load. I Waited for it to finish, but it never did. It got hung up on the very edge so I clicked the "X" next to the address bar and tried to access it again, but it wouldnt let me in.
i tried to safely remove the drive through the remove button, but it said it was busy. I know i set the option to where i can remove it without having to do this step, so i just removed the USB cable and proceeded to try again, but to no avail. I stayed up until 4:30 AM and still nothing.
Here are the things ive done so far.....
1. I've right clicked on the drive in "THIS PC" and click properties, but nothing ever pops up.
2. Ive tried to access the drive through "Disk Management" but it never loads up and it get stuck loading the "virtual...." something or other.
3. Ive tried starting up in SAFE MODE, and plugging in my External drive then but it still wont open.
4. Ive run Malwarebytes, Zemana scans multiple times. Ive run windows defender multiple times. and it doesnt find any malware or virus. I ran Windows Defender, because i had trouble running a full scan with Avast. It would turn off my computer around the 28% mark. I uninstalled it and went back to Windows Defender.
5. I restored my computer to a previous time and tried accessing my external drive again but no success.
6. I tried attaching it to my other ancient laptop that still runs windows XP, but it didnt even appear in the "My Computer" folder.
Ive noticed that my computer "freezes up" when i have the external drive plugged in, i can still move the mouse and open folders, but when i try to surf the web, the pages dont load. I cant even turn off the computer if the external drive is plugged in. Even on several occassions, ive resorted to removing the batter in order to turn off my computer. I know this is very stupid but I seriously couldnt figure out what to do.
Ive also noticed that when i plug in the drive, it no longer has the name i gave it it, It still has the Letter i gave it, but the name is changed back to the default i think.
Im at my wits end. How would i be able to fix this, and if i cant fix it, would i even be able to recover files?
Im feeling very helpless. Someone please help. Thanks.