Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 17.10 black screen after upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lacey16

lacey16

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Ubuntu kept nagging me to upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10. The upgrade went fine, no errors. When I rebooted to fire up the pc got grub menu, and sign in screen, input password hit enter then a flash of the desktop followed immediately by a black screen. Tried using a different kernel, no good so probably a graphics problem. AMDATI  cape verde radeon 7700 - 7800 series

Tried a couple of things that failed to work  when I open a terminal the black screen shows my desktop icons but closes if I try to open the dash to access drivers. I was using  an xorg driver.

Read some posts in linux forums ref: nomodset but did not fully understand the info. lspci shows the graphic card ok

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

just remembered drivers show on software updates.  Additional drivers:  unknown this device is not working: Using processor  microcode firmware for AMD CPUs from amd64-microcode(proprietary):  Do not use this device.

No proprietary drivers are in use.

Looks like the upgrade failed to pick up the xorg driver.   

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

I'm not qualified to help but will leave you with this article in case you don't know this information.  Personally I would stick with an LTS in the future.

"Why you might want to skip Ubuntu 17.04"

Ubuntu 17.04

Ubuntu 17.10

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:57 AM

Thanks.  I understand the advantages. Never upgraded before. I usually do a clean install.  I kinda consider these problems as opportunities to learn. However this one beats my common sense.  Using the keyboard I can open a TTY and the screen then displays my desktop icons. I can open the various programmes including google and use the internet with the graphics working ok.

it seems to be a problem with  splash however with no xorg showing in the driver software its odd.

again thanks for your advice. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:23 AM

lacey16, one of the issues may be that Ubuntu 16.04 & newer uses open source graphics drivers for AMD cards of the 7xxx series, I have several in use. 

That's why when running Linux Mint on these, install 17.3 instead of 18.3, I then have the proprietary GPU driver & CCC software. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to replicate the proprietary software, would be a violation of trademarks. 

What you can do, if you're still having issues, and it's really bugging you, is perform a 'fresh upgrade'. Meaning you'd be formatting only the root partition, just select the /home one, but don't place a check on the Format box. That way, all of your files will be there. However, I do recommend transferring anything important to an external or other internal drive to be on the safe side (you can drag & drop entire folders). NTFS file system is OK for this, when dual booting, will copy the folders over to the Windows Data partition. If performing a clean install, afterwards, will open that saved folder with those I saved, and then delete the same on new install, and drag the old back over. 

While I've yet to have a Linux Mint upgrade to go bad, just like any other OS, there's always the possibility of something getting knocked out of whack. They actually don't recommend upgrading, yet it's shown in the Update Manager for those who are prepared & wants to go for it. I do, because if I perform a clean install with every point release, would have to redo all of my custom settings. Of which I can do in a couple of hours if I work fast, yet am lazy & prefer to avoid clean installs of point releases. :)

It may be that a clean install or fresh upgrade as described above will fix your issues. Normally, as pcpunk suggested, I also prefer LTS releases, the only catch with Ubuntu 16.04 is being stuck with the Unity desktop that was later scrapped (finally Canonical seen the light) until 2021, or until 18.04 is released this year in about three more months. You can then clean install 18.04 & forget it for the next two years, when the next LTS is released. :)

Ubuntu holds their LTS upgrade roadmap better than any OS I've seen, come every 2nd April after the last, a new one is released. Short term releases can sometimes by buggy in itself, as Canonical sometimes tests software that may not make the cut for the next LTS release. That's why some calls the short term releases 'bleeding edge' ones, stability is best with LTS releases. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

Thanks Cat.   I was upgrading from ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 used 17.04 for about 8 months no problems with graphics or otherwise. It used noveau drivers. so I find it odd to think that the amd card would cause problems in 17.10.

I installed 17.04 and later did a clean install using dvd and saved the home folder all ok but if I decide to go back to 17.04 then I will back up all important stuff first.  As you say its then necessary to add chrome and other utiities which I was trying to avoid.

thanks again 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

I kinda consider these problems as opportunities to learn. 

Well then there are some fixes online as you may have seen.  I like this approach, I use the opportunity to learn something when all is broken and don't have much to loose.

Black Screen Post #19

I would not go back to 17.04, this would be a good opportunity to go to a LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS!  Or Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS until 18.0 comes out like cat suggested. 

It seems as though you WANT 17.04, or 10, but .04 is dead.  If you want a more stable experience go with the 16.04.3 right? just want to make sure you understand?

Here is the Bug

Hope some of that helps

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,362 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yeah 17.04 is going to be gone

I would either go get a installer disc for 17.10 or change distributions and or versions.

For your setup I recommend Ubuntu MATE as opposed to gnome shell/unity Ubuntu.

Others to try for your setup:

Manjaro XFCE

Xubuntu

Linux Mint MATE

Sparkylinux

I use Ubuntu MATE on my laptop which has similar hardware to yours currently on Ubuntu MATE 17.10 as I am using it until 18.04 comes out

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 January 2018 - 10:37 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

A couple of great alternative suggestions by MadmanRB above, haven't ran the first nor last listed, Linux Mint MATE (formerly Gnome or Main edition) is my main distro & has been for close to 9 years, runs quite well & loaded with software. Great for newbies & seasoned pros alike, Linux Mint (Cinnamon & MATE) are often considered 'drop in' replacements for Windows. :)

Have ran Xubuntu, great on system resources when a lightweight distro is needed, my main issue was it's looks, never felt comfortable with it. If I were to recommend a Xfce distro, would be the Linux Mint one, which I've installed on 1st gen Windows 7 low spec notebooks for others, although in reality, MATE hardly uses any more resources. Cinnamon does because of graphics (the Aero glass type look & feel). While there's a KDE version, the latest will be the last, although as I understand it, can be added to much any distro, so Linux Mint KDE users may still have an option, just will have to do the work themselves. THe main reason why Linux Mint went away from KDE was a business decision, low user share, some says that Kubuntu is better (am not a fan of  KDE myself). 

If you're a steadfast Ubuntu user, 18.04 LTS is around the corner, should be available for Preview soon, if not already. The cool thing being the Preview will update to the final release w/out need for reinstall, so when becomes available, will be an option to try & get a head start on learning the new features. :)

Looks like March 8th will be first Beta & April 5th will be the final, here's an in-depth article about the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-18-04-release-features/

Hang tight, you'll not have to wait too long for 18.04 LTS, install & forget for two years! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users