Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading a prebuilt system and just need some help before i buy a new card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanGrande

DanGrande

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Hello everyone, I am currently running a acer aspire TC-105 (http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-tc-105-w-tower-a10-6700-3-7-ghz-10-gb-1-tb/specs/) and wish to upgrade to a better graphics card as for the past 2 years i've been suffering with poor frames in games like counter strike: global offensive, managing an average of around 45 on low settings.

Recently ive purchased arma 3 and on all settings low, i manage between 5 and 15 fps which im sure you can agree is unplayable.

Ive been thinking about upgrading to a EVGA Geforce GT 1030 SC, but im unsure if it would work. My computer is the same as i purchased it, except for a PSU upgrade to a corsair cx600 (600 watts so should be able to run it). ive unmounted my graphics card to have a look and i have a PCIE x16 slot in which the card would go.

I went on a website regarding my card and the one i want and found my old card has a pcie 2.1 x 16, while the new one would be a pcie 3.0 x 4

I just want to know if this graphics card upgrade would work in my pc.

ps. the old card was dedicated and did not have any 6slot 8slot pin things plugged into it,so im not sure if the card would even gain power, however a website said it only used 30 watts from the 18 my card currently uses.

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

You certainly have enough power, does the card manufacturer show it being compatible?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 DanGrande

DanGrande
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

I will be buying from currys pc world (in the uk), and on their website it states in the technical specifications that it only requires a PCIe connection, which is what i have, if that is what you meant

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Seems like it will be fine.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 DanGrande