Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phone death from overheat - only a battery problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guaranteemyass

guaranteemyass

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hello!  I've just signed up in the hope that there might be someone mildly engineery watching!

I bought a phone from China (I know I know! We all think "It won't happen to me..."!) and guess what? It's dead.  It's an Elephone S8 and it was very nice until one day it heated up in my pocket to an untouchable temperature (put it on the table in the pub and my friends and I were worried it might explode!), turned it off quick but it stayed hot for a while, then went stone cold and hasn't shown any signs of life since.

Long story short, although only 1 month old and still under "warrantee", GearBest told me I could have a 45 USD voucher for their store, or I could pay 210 USD for re-shipping and "handling fee" for a "free" repair - the phone was 220 USD. So basically it's bricked with no recourse.

So, I pulled it to pieces and took the battery out.

Question - do you think it's only a battery problem, or did some dodgy circuitry cause the over-heat? Battery looks fine - no melted bits. If I replace the battery, will it work? Could it overheat again? Can I test the phone somehow, ie bypass battery?

Notes - Phone won't turn on even when on charger. Left to charge 24 hours made no difference. Havent sourced a replacement battery yet - obscure company, might have problems.  GPS wasn't very good - I suspected a faulty receiver and had contacted Elephone about it - they wanted me to do some tests but it died before I could do anything - could this have been a factor?  When I took it apart, 2 small screws fell from inside the casing - I'm pretty sure they must have been loose inside. could this have short circuited something? Sadly I didn't notice where they fell from.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edited by guaranteemyass, 02 January 2018 - 01:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Given your description it was almost certainly an internal failure (and, thank heaven, one that was contained) on the Li-ion battery.

Some circuits require a functioning (as in at least will take charge) battery before any power is passed along to the internal circuitry while others don't.  This is (or at least was) true of some laptops, too.

You have no way of knowing which is the case without either obtaining a new battery or supplying the correct DC power directly to where the battery connects to the board on the phone.

Given your overall description it is entirely possible that something else might have fried, too, if those screws were floating around in there making random contact.

I would consider any research you do on this to be entirely "for my own curiosity" and not count on getting a functional result.   If you do happen to get one then it will be a pleasant surprise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 guaranteemyass

guaranteemyass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

Thanks Britechguy! So there's a spark of hope.
Do you know if I can connect the charger directly to the battery connection terminals or do I need something more delicate?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Look at the power stats for your battery and the output stats for the charger.   Or look at the power specs for the phone in its documentation.

If the three are the same, or very similar, you can probably use the charger at the battery terminals.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 wirelessmikey

wirelessmikey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Received my elephone s8 late jan from gearbest, it stopped taking a charge about 4 days ago. Gearbest told me to do a factory reset, which I did now the phone only has 5% left on the battery.

Tried a few chargers, even brought it into my mobile phone company to see if their charger would work, it did not.

Even a electronic store tried to see if it would take a charge, told me there was probably .6volts/amps on the battery that there is something else wrong on the phone. Technician told me the usb port was clean.

Gearbest is giving me the round around as the phone no longer turns on, they told me to remove the cover & remove the battery & put it back in place, which will probably void the warranty.

Probably the guy who posted this has the same bad batch of phones as I received.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users