Hello! I've just signed up in the hope that there might be someone mildly engineery watching!
I bought a phone from China (I know I know! We all think "It won't happen to me..."!) and guess what? It's dead. It's an Elephone S8 and it was very nice until one day it heated up in my pocket to an untouchable temperature (put it on the table in the pub and my friends and I were worried it might explode!), turned it off quick but it stayed hot for a while, then went stone cold and hasn't shown any signs of life since.
Long story short, although only 1 month old and still under "warrantee", GearBest told me I could have a 45 USD voucher for their store, or I could pay 210 USD for re-shipping and "handling fee" for a "free" repair - the phone was 220 USD. So basically it's bricked with no recourse.
So, I pulled it to pieces and took the battery out.
Question - do you think it's only a battery problem, or did some dodgy circuitry cause the over-heat? Battery looks fine - no melted bits. If I replace the battery, will it work? Could it overheat again? Can I test the phone somehow, ie bypass battery?
Notes - Phone won't turn on even when on charger. Left to charge 24 hours made no difference. Havent sourced a replacement battery yet - obscure company, might have problems. GPS wasn't very good - I suspected a faulty receiver and had contacted Elephone about it - they wanted me to do some tests but it died before I could do anything - could this have been a factor? When I took it apart, 2 small screws fell from inside the casing - I'm pretty sure they must have been loose inside. could this have short circuited something? Sadly I didn't notice where they fell from.
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Edited by guaranteemyass, 02 January 2018 - 01:33 PM.