Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your product key is Invalid

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hi all, just need to tell someone about this.  I have just completed my first ever build and so far it has gone well.  Then after installing my new copy of Windows 10 (retail copy via Amazon UK Market Place) the Product Key is invalid. Tried several times but same result.  I contacted the seller via Amazon UK who said that he wanted me to send him photos of the product key that came with the USB.  I did and he replied that he has spoken to M'soft and they are investigating, meanwhile they have sent him a new Product Key which he has emailed to me.  Guess what, used it and M'soft says it is invalid as it has been used on another device so will not activate my copy of Windows.  Have emailed seller to say I'm not happy and will contact Amazon for return & refund (I paid £87 = $118).  I guess it depends on how software refunds are gauged by Amazon as to their response.  Perhaps I should now go through M'soft to pay for and download W10 and get a working key/digital licence.  I'm beyond angry now, I paid a good price to prevent this type of problem.

Sorry for rant

Cheers

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

remember to file a complaint with amazon about the seller selling used license key's.  

#3 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Yes I certainly will.

Dave

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:42 AM

Remember that when you install Windows 10 that you ALWAYS choose that you do NOT have a product code. You only use the product code after Windows 10 is completely installed and updated. Then you use the product code only to activate the installation, not to install it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:04 AM

Hi rocky, I did not know that.  I've sent my USB back to Amazon for a refund.  It seems many people have had a similar problem from this marketplace supplier recently.  The software installed after I'd used the product key (no problems there) and then updated to version 1709.  It then said it was not activated and that's when the problems occurred.   I am going to download a genuine copy from Microsoft and install it over the copy I already have installed.

thanks

Dave

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

It sounds like you already have Windows 10 installed on your PC. That is great, you are half way there. Now you can use that product code and just activate your installation by phone, it takes about 2 minutes. There is also a built in app that will allow you to use your product code to activate Windows, the app is called  Feedback hub. You can open Feedback Hub from your start menu and you get a live Microsoft agent that will help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

Hi rocky, I did not know that.  I've sent my USB back to Amazon for a refund.  It seems many people have had a similar problem from this marketplace supplier recently.  The software installed after I'd used the product key (no problems there) and then updated to version 1709.  It then said it was not activated and that's when the problems occurred.   I am going to download a genuine copy from Microsoft and install it over the copy I already have installed.

thanks

Dave

Did you use the settings feature to activate your Windows 10? That is really the only way to activate your installation is by going into settings and entering your product code.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

Hi Rocky, I went to Microsoft website and purchased W10 Home download,  When I pressed install it just said thanks for purchasing W10 so I guess the version I had already installed was ok.  I went to settings and applied the new key they sent me and it activated without problem.  All sorted now thanks.

Dave

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Yes, the original product that you bought from Amazon was legitimate and correct so do not give that seller a bad rating. He sold you a good product you just did not know how to activate it. Sometimes it pays to use Google.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Hi Rocky, sorry but I do know how to activate windows.  As I mentioned in my first post, when I entered the product key, both before and after full installation, Microsoft said it was invalid and had been used on another device.  I contacted the seller who sent me another product key and the same thing happened.  I entered both keys via settings "Activate your copy of Windows".

I looked at the recent reviews from others who had recently purchased from the same seller and the great majority of them had had the same problem as me.

Dave

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

OK Dave. I'm sorry but I thought that you had used a different method. It sounds like you tried the correct method but that it just did not work, in which case you are correct to assume that the seller sold you a bad key. But at least you got it going good now through the Windows store.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Yes, two bad keys.  I thought by paying a decent price it would be ok, but anyway, now up and running with activated copy.  Cost me a bit more though £120 = $170.

Thanks

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users