Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OLD MS PAINT problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boblalux

boblalux

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

From my old Windows 7 laptop I downloaded the OLD MS Paint which I much prefer to the new one, and put it on my new Windows 10 laptop.
Problem:  When I click on the OLD MSPaint.exe icon on my new laptop, I get the program without any problems and can then open any bmp or jpg file.  But,  when I click on the (eg) jpg file itself and click on the OPEN WITH option, I get my Photoshop, the actual NEW MS Paint  and a number of other options.   Nowhere is the OLD MS Paint icon to be found.  What must I do to have the OLD MS Paint option available on the OPEN WITH option, so that I can make it my default program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boblalux

boblalux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Problem solved in the mean time (from Toms Hardware Forums):

<<Open with/Choose another App/More Apps/Look for another app on this PC/Specify location of App.>>

I had to change the name of the desired version to OLDMSPaint.exe, otherwise it became confused with the new version.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Are you differentiating between Paint 3D and Paint?

Both are available on Win10 up to the current version with no need to do anything. I prefer regular Paint myself, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 boblalux

boblalux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

No,  just straight MS Paint

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

Well, then I'll remain confused.

Plain ol' MS-Paint is available under Windows 10 and is the first thing that shows up if I search for "Paint."  It's the same one I used (and can still use) on my Win7 machine.  No download/install needed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 boblalux

boblalux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:07 AM

It's really quite simple:  Forget the Windows 7 onwards Version of MS Paint, I am talking about the older {XP for example} Version - I prefer it by far.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Well that's clear.   It was your intro of "from my old Windows 7 laptop I downloaded . . ." that muddied the water.

If I'm stepping back into the XP era the simple photo editor of choice I've carried along is MS-Photo Edit (that was a part of Office, I believe).  It's the easiest thing I've ever used with regard to creating transparent areas in originally non-transparent material.

~ Mark Twain

#8 boblalux

boblalux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Fine.  I preferred everything XP anyway;  don't know why MS had to change everything for the worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users