Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New upgrade to i5-8400

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TitanPC

TitanPC

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys, I'm planning on upgrading to a better processor and I thought that I could get some advice and opinions on here. I'm going to use it for games like PUBG, CS, Battlefield etc. and also stream music and videos in 1920 x 1080 resolution. Will probably also use it for school projects and stuff like that. I'm not planning on overclocking.

My current setup (Prebuilt):
CPU: Pentium Anniversary Edition, G3258 (3,2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
MBO: MSI Z87-G55
RAM: HyperX 2x4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 1033 MHz, 1098 MHz (Boost Clock) 2 GB, GDDR5
PSU: 500W, Cooler Master

What I'm upgrading to:
CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 2.8 GHz 9MB
MBO: MSI Z370-A PRO
RAM: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Ballistix Sport
The rest is the same

I feel like my current processor is bottlenecking my setup a bit and I thought I'd upgrade to 8th gen, which I hope will last for maybe 7 years or more. However after this upgrade the processor will probably be bottlenecked by the GPU so I might upgrade that as well in the future. Do you guys think that I will get a noticeable performance boost by this upgrade? Does it look good in a long-term perspective?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

There are few problems with your new parts:

- Memory prices are ultra high right now

- Investing on Intel platform is very rarely good for long term

- GPU is very slow on today's standards

- Motherboard will become obsolete very soon

So wise options right now:

- Avoid paying too much for memory and buy new CPU for current motherboard. Avoid paying too much though.

- If you can sell DDR3 for good price, go for AM4 platform.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Indeed right now AMD is better in the long term as intel changes its sockets a lot.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I've been looking through some AMD stuff and I'm considering an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (or 1600x) 3.2 GHz 19MB with an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard. The Ryzen costs 263 $ and the i5 8400 costs 233 $ where I live but the i5 has better effective speed according to http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3939vs3919. The AMD MBO is cheaper though so I guess it compensates for the extra cost of the processor. What are your thoughts?

Also, is AMD really good in the long run? I mean aren't they gonna change the socket for the newer processors (in a few years) by the time I decide to upgrade my rig again?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Socket AM4 will be around until 2020 so thus why its a good platform.

I would get the Ryzen 5 1600 as ignore the X, the X has nothing to do with olverclocking as all ryzen processors can be overclocked.

As for performance while it is true the i5 will perform better in games the R5 1600 is more rounded for other tasks (its very good value for dollar as a streaming media processor)

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Socket AM4 will be around until 2020 so thus why its a good platform.

I would get the Ryzen 5 1600 as ignore the X, the X has nothing to do with olverclocking as all ryzen processors can be overclocked.

As for performance while it is true the i5 will perform better in games the R5 1600 is more rounded for other tasks (its very good value for dollar as a streaming media proI

Thanks for your response, I'll go with the 1600 then  :thumbup2: Should I consider getting a GTX 1060 6 GB or 1070? Or can I keep up for a while with the 760 I have? It's a bit expensive to get a new GPU right away at the moment since this CPU, MBO and RAM upgrade is up at about 610 $. I found the 16 GB RAM I was looking for at about 60 $ less though which puts me at 550 $.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Well if you have a 760 i would use that for now, GPU prices are indeed rather high and even though you will still need to get a new GPU eventually the 760 you have now is still decent enough to play games.

I would go for the 1060 as its going down in price to its MSRP

Really doesnt matter now as if you go cheap thats fine

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 January 2018 - 04:27 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I would stick with GTX760 until GPU prices calm down. Currently there are really no good video card deals because prices are high.

AM4 will receive at least "small" upgrade quite soon (Ryzen Refresh) and early next year should come Ryzen 2, that may be somewhat worthwhile upgrade. It's guess that Ryzen 3 will support AM4 but it will get some more features with AM4+ (PCI Express 4.0?, DDR5??)

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 January 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Well to be sure Ryzen refresh wont be too much of a update except for slightly better clock speeds or better power efficiency.

By the end of the platform I doubt speeds will jump that much like what has happened in the past thanks to moores law and all that.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Well looks like I'm good to go then. Thank you very much for the help guys, I really appreciate it ☺

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users