Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not access shares via VPN since upgrade from 2012 R2 to 2016

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyDBX

JonnyDBX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Hey guys,

I recently completed an in-place upgrade from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2016 on a file server.

This file server serves SMB shares that are accessed both locally (via drive maps from session host servers on the same domain serving virtual desktops) and remotely (via drive maps from remote machines connected via VPN but NOT on the domain).

Since the upgrade, the machines which are not on the domain and which accessed the shares via from a remote location can no longer do so.
I have several other servers which I can browse to and map drives to from the remote location via the VPN, but not this upgraded file server.

I've been trying to resolve this for a while now and here are the main things I've noted...

• I can still ping the machine from the remote location.
  • I can still browse to and map drives to the file server locally from my session host servers (within the domain)
  • I cannot browse in file explorer to the file server in question remotely.
  • I cannot map drives to the file server remotely.
  • I can browse to and map drives to other 'non-upgraded' (ie cleanly installed) Server 2016 machines from the remote location.

Windows firewall is not enabled on any of these machines.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what may cause this issue or on how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance!  :tophat:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Is it a licensing issue? I ran into remote issues with Server 2008 R2 when I tried remote connections. I had to buy license CAL's for each. Just a suggestion as I don't know, I'm still learning the Server environment. Do you have to update the remote licenses when you upgrade the Server? 

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

Hey guys,

I recently completed an in-place upgrade from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2016 on a file server.

This file server serves SMB shares that are accessed both locally (via drive maps from session host servers on the same domain serving virtual desktops) and remotely (via drive maps from remote machines connected via VPN but NOT on the domain).

Since the upgrade, the machines which are not on the domain and which accessed the shares via from a remote location can no longer do so.
I have several other servers which I can browse to and map drives to from the remote location via the VPN, but not this upgraded file server.

I've been trying to resolve this for a while now and here are the main things I've noted...

• I can still ping the machine from the remote location.
  • I can still browse to and map drives to the file server locally from my session host servers (within the domain)
  • I cannot browse in file explorer to the file server in question remotely.
  • I cannot map drives to the file server remotely.
  • I can browse to and map drives to other 'non-upgraded' (ie cleanly installed) Server 2016 machines from the remote location.

Windows firewall is not enabled on any of these machines.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what may cause this issue or on how I can resolve this?

Thanks in advance!  :tophat:

Had the same issue with VPn behind a NAT device and Meraki's.

Add these 2 keys.

Add/change this key so you can access mapped drives on your Client VPN connection
Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\DisableDomainCreds  make it 1

Add this key when using the VPN Client to connect to servers etc.
For Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, and 2008 Server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent

RegValue: AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule

Type: DWORD

Data Value: 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users