Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing raw Partition (windows 10)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raph7777

Raph7777

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:35 AM

Here is the context:

- I wanted to save the data of a 2 TB HDD plugged into a Dlink DNS-320L NAS.

This NAS was connected to my old PC (With a Win XP OS)

I have not used this HDD since about 6 months but I noticed I could not access it.

So now that I have a new PC (with a Win 10 OS) I wantto save the data but I have problems ...

Here is what I made:

1/ on Win 10:

-  I successed in connecting the Dlink DNS-320L NAS and the led of HDD was green so the HDD is considered as ok

but I only see a part of a little partition of the HDD (about 150gb of 2 To)

I tried to use a lot of utilties ext2f ... but without sucess

I also tried to directly connect the HDD in Sata but without success

2/ I decided to reconnect the HDD with my old PC directly in Sata (WinXP) and used
https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

with this utility I could have access to a 550 Gb partition of the HDD but not to the main partition (around 1,20 To)

for information the HDD makes a normal noise and the different utilities and the disk mamangement of windows don't etect a problem with it.

I just noticed that the 2TB HDD was detected as a RAW filesystem.
Is it normal that his filesystem is RAW ? it should be ext 3 normally ?
Perhaps I should try other utilities but which one ? (on Win XP or Win 10 it doesn't matter)

Thanks for your help.

Raph

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2018 - 11:07 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

Windows would see the disk as RAW because to it there is no partition table. The drive was formatted with a linux file system, correct? See this thread for possible solutions. The Linux version of R Studio using linux seemed to give the best chance of recovery.

Running Testdisk in Windows on the drive may allow you to recover the data. 

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

I would not attempt to write a new partition table. You can recover your data if you can detect your partitions using the Quick Search or Deeper Search. Press the "P" key to see your files on the detected partition(s). You can copy the files back to the unzipped folder of Testdisk. You can't use the "'a" key to select all files if your free space on the recovery drive is not larger than the data you are recovering. Use the ":" key to select files and directories.

#3 Raph7777

Raph7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Ok thanks. I will try at first with Test Disk and will indicate if it solved the problem.

I will try other solutions if it fails.

#4 Raph7777

Raph7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

I tried with Testdisk on Windows but without resultat (no valid file when I click on "P" key. I'll try other software to see if I have best results.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

JohnC, I must have forgotten, is this Linux R-Studio a USB or DVD boot?  I have R-Studio Network (the $179 package).  Many pages, including R-Studio, are blocked by my school firewall/ISD IT  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 03 January 2018 - 11:00 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Yep, I posted a link to R-Studio. On a Linux partitioned NAS R-Studio for linux seems to give the best chance of recovery.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Yep, I posted a link to R-Studio. On a Linux partitioned NAS R-Studio for linux seems to give the best chance of recovery.

I think you're also saying I can make a USB or DVD linux-based R-Studio boot using my current R-Studio Network, even though it was primarily for Windows? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

I'm not sure your license includes the linux version but they are two different things. I'm not all that familiar with R-studio, only that in the thread I linked to the poster booted linux and used R-studio for linux to access the drive. Not sure about a bootable linux USB flash drive.

#9 Raph7777

Raph7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I did not succeed in creating a bootable USB key on windows XP (I always have the message "No Default or UI configuration directive found !" (I tried with Lili, with UnetBootin, with Universal US Creator => same result"

where is the link you indicate with R-Studio for linux  ? with which software do you create a bootable USB key ?

I'll try on windows 10 to see if it's better ....

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

R studio for linux requires it to be run on a linux OS. They do have an Emergency iso image. I don't what the cost of the iso is though.

http://www.r-studio.com/data_recovery_linux/

Here is the page that allows you do use R-studio in demo mode. 

http://www.r-studio.com/data_recovery_linux/Download.shtml

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users