Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Keeps Rebooting for random Reasons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoldenSpy

GoldenSpy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:54 AM

First off let me get this out of the way.I am in no way a noob when it comes to computers.It takes me a lot to ask any one for help.I have been building computers for years off and on as a hobby.When i ask for help it takes me a lot to ask.

I have a major issue going on with my desktop and i can not seem to pin point the issue.I built this system back in 1996  95% of the time it runs every thing just fine.Including games that i throw at it.

The Problem i have is that it's randomly rebooting.Even when i type some thing.Some times it only takes 20 minutes or and  hour.Last week i thought i fixed the problem by buying a new power supply.I went and got a newer EVGA 600 Watt power supply.600 watts is more than enough power for my desktop.My other power supply was a 550 and ran 550 for 5 years with out an issue.

Here is my current setup below.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965    93 °F
    Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1)    85 °F
Graphics
    ELEFW2217M (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)    105 °F
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-11JC3T0 ATA Device (SATA)    76 °F
    223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G ATA Device (SSD)    78 °F
Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS324 W ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

The SSD is only a couple of months old same with the Western Digital.I have ran multiple stuff.I ran Virus / Malware / Spyware software and found nothing.I all so formatted my hard drive and ssd dod standard 7 or 8 times.Just to be safe just in case there was a virus or malware hidden on the drive.

I have all so run memtest 86 for ram and windows memory diagnostic found no errors.System is detecting all 8 gigs of ram.Even in the BIOS,I have all so looked at my Crash Log's And looked in my Who Crashed and BlueScreenView and there are no blue screens of death.The computer will not blue screen with the sudden power drop.It will just reboot with a new power supply.

I have all so looked in my event viewer and i keep getting errors in there.I have even cleaned out my case of dust.

Every thing is fully updated with the correct drivers and windows updates.

Edited by GoldenSpy, 02 January 2018 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Boot into the Advanced Boot Options and select Disable automatic restart on system failure.

I know you are computer literate, but I'm going to add instructions for those following this topic who do not know how to access the Advanced Boot Options.

Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key and continue until you either boot into Windows or you reach the Advanced Boot Options.  If the computer boot into Windows retry the process.

The next time this problem occurs the computer should not reboot, it should open a scree with the specific error causing this.  Please post the findings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

If your system is experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) you won't be able to see it (for very long) since by default Windows is configured to automatically restart when it crashes so you need to turn that off and adjust your system to generate a crash dump file when it does crash.

Here's how:

On your Desktop right click Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings and make it look like this:

There is no need to create the Minidump folder as Windows will create one if it needs to.

Then click OK enough times to close all the dialog boxes and restart your system for the changes to take effect.  After rebooting you can go back and check the settings again to be sure the adjustments "stick".

In your next reply you can supply more information that will reduce the number of question asking message cycles if you will do this:

If your system is a Dell what is the Service Tag number?

If your system is HP what is the serial number?

Click the Start button/orb in the lower-left corner of your screen. Or, press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.

In the box enter:

msinfo32

Select/click msinfo32.exe and the System Information dialog box will open.

Click on System Summary, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Then do whatever you have to do get the system to crash again and you should have a crash dump file to upload for analysis.

Sometimes more than one crash dump is needed to pinpoint the cause so upload some of the most recent ones.

Edited by joseibarra, 02 January 2018 - 10:37 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 GoldenSpy

GoldenSpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for reply.It has not rebooted yet.It did 35 mins ago.

But here are the errors i keep getting in event viewer.

By the way why is not allowing me to post attachments.

Edited by GoldenSpy, 02 January 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#5 GoldenSpy

GoldenSpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

Ok here is the picture.Website does not like cyberfox for some reason.

Attached Files

#6 GoldenSpy

GoldenSpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

Here is a new update.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

Here is a new update.

There seems to be something missing in your last post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 GoldenSpy

GoldenSpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for reply.

I think the boot problem was my front cases USB port.

So i reinstalled windows again.And disconnected the front usb port and so far it has been up for.

Current Session
    Current Time    1/3/2018 12:07:26 PM
    Current Uptime    29,176 sec (0 d, 08 h, 06 m, 16 s)
    Last Boot Time    1/3/2018 4:01:10 AM

I updated it at 4 am.

I will get back to you guys if there are any other issues.

And yes the website does not like cyberfox posting pics for some reason.That is why i had an issue with posting logs.

Edited by GoldenSpy, 03 January 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

You can post a image in your topic, you either will need a link to the image which you could post to see the image, or you can use the method below to select a image from your computer.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users