Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Explorer Does Not Remember Folder View Settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neuronjockey

Neuronjockey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

Win Explorer does not remember folder view settings

I recently did a fresh install of Win 2k and shortly after Windows Explorer was not saving its own view settings. Other programs start up with their windows properly saved, but Windows Explorer doesn't. At first it opened full expanded, taking up the whole screen. The "Remember each folder's view settings" box was checked by default and I didn't mess with it. After a week of this glitch behavior, Windows Explorer spontaneously started opening in a window taking up about half the screen and still does so.

I think something in the Registry is corrupted. I run Registry Mechanic every day but it hasn't helped. Is their a way to edit the Registry to get the settings to be freshly rewritten?

Thanks,
Neuronjockey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Windows by default should remember window settings and open them the next time in the size that they were last used.

In order to accomplish that open only one copy of Internet Explorer and physically drag the window to the size you want using the cursor - not the square box at the top left of the screen.

Once you have done that use ctrl and the X at the top right to close the window.

When you open it again it should be at full size.

#3 Neuronjockey

Neuronjockey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

Didn't do the trick. I think the problem is in the registry. Is there a way to manually set all the relevant Registry entries dealing with the window view settings to default?

Thanks,
Neuronjockey

Edited by Neuronjockey, 29 September 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:55 AM

Did you close all copies of IE (Outlook and OE are part of IE) before you dragged the IE window to full size?

See if the following Microsoft Article helps:

Internet Explorer window may not open maximized

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167099/en-us

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 04:58 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Try this:

Go to your control panel and click on "Folder Options"

Click the "View" tab

Scroll down until you see "Remember each folder's view settings"

Make sure there is a tic in the box to the left of that

Click "Apply"

Click "OK"

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

If I may stick my 5 cents into this: I noticed both on the Windows2000 and XP-home computer that almost every time, at least 8 out of 10 time, Windows updates do that. Windows Explorer is back to the icons, not the Details I normally setup in the classic view. The Win Explorer windows size also is set to something I don't want. Very annoying. It could be that the installation discussed here is similar.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

That may be the case, but then you need to reset folder settings for the way that you want to view the folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users