Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How reliable are unknown-branded LED monitors?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tantrik

tantrik

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:27 AM

Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz (Channel B)
Undefined 2GB DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (Channel A)

Dear friends,

I am planning to buy a LED monitor. In my place there are branded LED monitors like samsung, asus, lg etc and unknown-branded monitors like vision, starex etc. The branded monitors have higher price compared to the unknown-branded monitors and both types of monitors carry similar warranty periods. How reliable and durable are such LED monitors from unknown brands? Is it worthy to buy such monitors?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

I don't want to seem facetious, but that is one of the things about them that will be unknown. Major brands have a track record, unheard of brands will be an unknown quantity. With that said, they mostly come from a few big factories in China, and are just re-badged versions of a product that may appear under several names.

Overall, with highly automated design and manufacture there are less really poor products produced than used to be the case in the past. But to sell much cheaper, use of lower cost components leads us to expect shorter lifespan and more likelihood of faults than premium brands. You will probably find they use lower grade panels, so be more likely to show some aberration like uneven illumination or pixel faults, and there will probably be no support like spare parts available if there is a fault.

A Google search may show if a brand name has sufficient sales to register complaints or recommendations, and finding out who they are imported or supported by can be helpful. Having a long warranty can be a consideration if they are backed by a business that will be around to provide that warranty. It's probably also more desirable to actually see the monitor in operation, in case it has poor image quality etc.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Highly appreciate it.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

One thing I've noted over the years since LD and LED display hit the market was the quality of the off brand units.  The mfgr specs for the display panels allows for a number of bad pixels and still pass the QC.   Compaq (for one) does not allow ANY bad pixels on their units and will reject any with even just one bad pixel.  One unit I observed over two years, from date of purchase to its demise, started with only two bad pixels but it quickly progressed into dozens scattered all over the display area.  As I understand it, Sharp is the only manufacturer of LCD panels and they are really very good about the QC, so the other knock offs from China are not so good.  The most common fault is a failure of the backlight, usually starting in a small area, hardly noticeable but progresses of larger areas that become dark and hard to read what's on the display.  Not a real problem for LED units.

#5 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

Then I will buy branded led monitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users