Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rattling noise coming from mobo/cpu doesn't stop unless i tilt the case

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

lots of time I'm hearing an abnormal rattling sound especially during PC activity. its not coming from HDD neither GPU because i've unplugged both and the rattling sound was still there. also its not coming from PSU. so its either coming from CPU or motherboard.

i took my case out, opened it and put it on its side.. i think the CPU fan blades are kinda touching the heat sink slightly, when i spin it with my hand it doesn't spin freely and makes a rattling noise. however, when the case on its feet and i spin it with my hand it spin freely without any noise!.
thats kinda strange, because if it does spin freely without any noise by hand.. where does this sound come from when my PC is on?

now I'm tilting the case 30 - 40 degrees on its left side, it has been a day and no noise until now. why do you think this noise disappeared just by tilting the case?
and do you think this could be a permanent solution?
if not, is there any fix for it except replacing the fan?.. because recently i've replaced lots of things, so I'm looking for a fix at least temporarily for a decent time.
i have intel stock fan. temps are good at both idle and load, with the usual RPMs.

Edited by Jon_Snow89, 01 January 2018 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

The case needs to be gone over and tighten all screws.  Tilting the unit changes the stress points on the case and stops the rattle.  If the fan/heatsink are dirty, that can create some noise as the blades of the fan paddle the dust and dirt lodged in the heatsink.

#3 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

The case needs to be gone over and tighten all screws.  Tilting the unit changes the stress points on the case and stops the rattle.  If the fan/heatsink are dirty, that can create some noise as the blades of the fan paddle the dust and dirt lodged in the heatsink.

thank you.. i will try to look for any loose screws, but i already cleaned the CPU heat sink with an air duster can it didn't made a big difference. also the fan blades touching the heat sink when the case on its side made me suspect it might be a mechanical issue with the fan. but when the case on its feet the blades spins freely by hand.

#4 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

now after a day and a half without any noise the rattling sound started to appear slightly now, i had to tilt the case a little bit more and its gone again..
there is a missing screw on the motherboard, but that is missing since long time ago and this rattling noise just started to appear recently.. could it be the problem?
also could it be a loose bearing in the CPU fan?

Edited by Jon_Snow89, 02 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

As the unit warms up, things will begin to "grow" a little, causing things to loosen a bit here and tighten a bit there.  A missing screw can certainly be the cause.

#6 bles16

bles16

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Hello!.

You are sure that the cable is not making contact with the cooler, fan, or any other cable on the power source. Clarify companion, the parts of the cabinet must be very secure, all with their respective screws in place, the source of power normally carry 4 screws, the mobo may vary. Reconnect all cables and prevent them from making contact with each other.

Hello!. You are sure that the cable is not making contact with the cooler, fan, or any other cable on the power source. Clarify companion, the parts of the cabinet must be very secure, all with their respective screws in place, the source of power normally carry 4 screws, the mobo may vary. Reconnect all cables and prevent them from making contact with each other.

#7 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hello!.

You are sure that the cable is not making contact with the cooler, fan, or any other cable on the power source. Clarify companion, the parts of the cabinet must be very secure, all with their respective screws in place, the source of power normally carry 4 screws, the mobo may vary. Reconnect all cables and prevent them from making contact with each other.

yes I'm sure that the cables is not making contact with the fan, however there are lots of cables makings contact with each other, and its difficult to prevent them from making contact with each other, but i don't think its the cause anyway.

why could it be something with the fan bearings or blades touching heat sink? that might explain why when i tilt the case the noise goes away, because the blades moves away further from the heat sink making the noise to stop, could that be possible?.. but i don't know why after a whole day the noise came back slightly while I'm still tilting my case.

i tilted it a bit more and the noise is gone. i don't know if its going to come back or not..

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

See if the impeller moves in and out should be near to nil, spinning just shows it is free, could be worn out.  When you look at a mother board you will see a few empty holes, they are made that way to fit various applications.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

See if the impeller moves in and out should be near to nil, spinning just shows it is free, could be worn out.  When you look at a mother board you will see a few empty holes, they are made that way to fit various applications.

do you mean by the impeller the one that rotates and holds up the fan blades?.. if so then yes it seems to be spinning freely not moving in and out. BUT as i mentioned when i put the case on its side i've noticed that the "impeller" can't hold the fan blades up so it was touching the heat sink and couldn't spin freely by hand. however when the case on its feet it spins freely by hand

so i don't know what exactly happens that makes my PC start to rattle after powering it on for long time..

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

You should be able to grasp the impeller and pull/push gently in and out of it noticeably moves the fan is worn out.  You can buy a replacement for under $10.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

That sure sounds like the fan on the CPU heatsink is bad.  When the hub that holds the fan blades becomes worn, the hub can move within the fan assembly allowing it to contact the heatsink or the supports for the fan.  Changing position will allow it to move away from the heatsink, no noise but when back in normal position it moves just enough to make contact.

#12 Jon_Snow89

Jon_Snow89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

thank you guys.. is there any temporarily fix for that?.. like maybe putting something under the fan blades so it doesn't allow it to make contact with the heat sink?..
or somehow a way that makes the hub holds the fan properly?..

although changing position allows it to move away from the heat sink, so no noise yes.. but after PC cools down for a while then turn it on back it sometimes starts to rattle again even it still at the same position. so i have to tilt the case a little bit more, or shake it so the noise can be gone again, and so on..

also when the case is on its feet (normal position) the fan doesn't seem to be making any contact with the heat sink, because i could spin it with my hand.. i don't know what happens makes it touches the heatsink when pc is on.

Edited by Jon_Snow89, 03 January 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Most of those fan assemblies use brass/graphite bearings to hold the armature.  As they age, heat up and cool down, they wear some of the brass and become loose.  This allows the armature to move back and forth along its axis, allowing it to contact the heat sink and even the hub itself.  The cure is replacement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users