Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find Win 7 Disk but have install no.s - may need to reinstall.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 malchico

malchico

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Computer is acting squirely. Couple of times it wouldn't restart first try. Is there a recover disk to restart with if I have my original install no.s?

Any way to determine while it is still running if there is a hard drive problem instead of a software problem before I go to EBAY to buy another WIN7?

Thank you.

malchico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

if you have a valid product key you can use this link do download the correct ISO file and be able to create a windows disk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

#3 EZSPIRIT

EZSPIRIT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Computer is acting squirely. Couple of times it wouldn't restart first try. Is there a recover disk to restart with if I have my original install no.s?

Any way to determine while it is still running if there is a hard drive problem instead of a software problem before I go to EBAY to buy another WIN7?

Thank you.

malchico.

If I were you I would be very careful about buying software such as Windows, or MS Office from eBay. A few years ago I bought a MS Office 2010 DVD from eBay, but I wasn't able to activate it, because the Product key had been used too many times. Luckily I had paid for it with Pay Pal, and they reimbursed me the money.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

I disagree with buying on Ebay, I bet I have spent well over 50K between two trucks, software, computers and a ton computer parts.  I had one very slight issue which the seller fixed very quickly.  But then again I never from anyone with a score under 99.5!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 malchico

malchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7.   Tried this as per ezspirit's advice and was told to forget about that as numbers didn't match. Long story short 

I bought it from ebay.  I found a copy that I had made and it started. Runs very slow. Should I use some Piriform tools now? If so, do I turn off Norton first?

Thank yall for your help.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

"Is there a recover disk to restart with if I have my original install no.s?" I believe you are referring to reinstalling your Windows 7 to factory condition.

Go into disk management and see if there is a recovery partition: if so you should be able to do that.

On some computers pressing F11 (sometimes a different set of keys) at boot up leads to the ability to reinstall the manufacturers factory condition.

Refer to your computer's manufacturer website manual if necessary.

If you don't know the valid product key, look for it on the body of the computer.

I also like to use www.belarc.com and scroll down to software licenses. 

There are programs to determine the license key but I like to use belarc because it includes information about the computer in simple form.

It's been awhile since I've re-installed Windows 7 to factory condition but I don't recall it being necessary to enter the license key for a factory condition.

Back up your data first. Creating a system image backup is still a good idea even if the system is running wonky. 

You never know what can go wrong when attempting to return to factory condition.

BTW, have you tried troubleshooting what's wrong with the computer?

Not knowing enough about where to get started it might be a good idea to run a hard drive diagnostic.

#7 EZSPIRIT

EZSPIRIT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:09 AM

I disagree with buying on Ebay, I bet I have spent well over 50K between two trucks, software, computers and a ton computer parts.  I had one very slight issue which the seller fixed very quickly.  But then again I never from anyone with a score under 99.5!!!!

Consider yourself very lucky. Mine arrived as a DVD, in legitimate looking packaging exactly like the one Microsoft uses. The DVD even looked legitimate.
After I installed it though I couldn't activate it so I contacted Microsoft who told me the key had already been used. I contacted the seller on eBay, but received no response so I turned to Pay Pal who refunded me the money.
Not to get into a back, and forth with you, but the seller had a good rating or I wouldn't have bought from him.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Let's...stick to the OP's issues...please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users