Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any users of 3rd party tools to manage settings on Windows10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carpentry

Carpentry

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

What are you using and do you have any security concerns? How do you wheigh the risks v benefits of using such a tool?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I think Windows Club has a version of Ultimate Windows Tweaker designed for Windows 10.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

There's also Winaero Tweaker as well.  I use it for a feature or two that it makes much easier to turn on/off at will like verbose login/logout status messages.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Be sure you have current, routine, reliable full image backups on external media before experimenting and while experimenting with either UWT, WT, or anything similar in power.  Experiment too much and one could find him/her-self reaching for image restore DVD or USB.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

The problem with some of these tools, is that Windows 10 updates to a new version twice a year, so you may end up playing a cat & mouse game every time you get an updated version

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

The problem with some of these tools, is that Windows 10 updates to a new version twice a year, so you may end up playing a cat & mouse game every time you get an updated version

The number of settings that get changed from what the user chooses has been decreasing with each and every feature update.  I haven't had any changed in the last three.

It's virtually certain that one of the things being worked on is restoring any user selected settings at the end of a feature update if the update process itself either needs them changed to function or changes them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Don't know first hand myself because I do not use 10,  but I've heard many complaints from the fall creators update

Edit; I am referring to software that "locks down" and custom settings on 10 that are manually set by the users.

Edited by Joe C, 06 January 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Don't know first hand myself because I do not use 10,  but I've heard many complaints from the fall creators update

Edit; I am referring to software that "locks down" and custom settings on 10 that are manually set by the users.

The only program that I have recently seen semi-abandoned is Classic Shell, and it is far more complicated because its purpose is to make Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 "look like Windows 7."

Things like Winaero Tweaker, for instance, have had no issue, at least so far, in keeping themselves compatible with Windows 10 as the feature updates roll out.  That's probably in large part because they're dealing with core OS settings that we're all familiar with but that can sometimes be more difficult to impossible to find in the native Windows 10 settings interface.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

The general fact with these 3rd party tools is that while they might help users retain a bit more control over the OS the windows 10 OS beneath can still over-ride them in some ways, especially when it gets updated. For those of us who don't like windows 10's philosophy of forced updates and automatic changes of settings behind your back, the so called software as a service model, choosing a different OS is the best thing to do. One can go back to an older windows version, if you can find a licence key for one then downloading the necessary files from microsoft's website to make install media should not be TOO tricky, or switch to a linux OS. As long as you make sure to not give the satisfaction of sales to any manufacturer that turns crooked and locks the BIOS/UEFI/firmware such that secureboot cannot be turned off and alternative OSs to windows 10 can't be booted then switching to an operating system more inline with your, and my, idea of what computing should be like is the least stressful thing to do. This way you don't have to spend all your time fighting against an OS that you fear might metaphorically throw off the 3rd party tools and turn on you.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users