Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly hangs after each reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MgDark

MgDark

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

My PC (Windows 8.1) is getting hangs randomly, NO BSOD, it just stays frozen and i have to do a hard reset, although i noticed that the hangs appears more frequently when using a web browser (any one, Firefox, Chrome or IE) and i have to do a serie of resets where each one the PC hangs after 1-5 minutes of windows login or it will hang after a long while (+4 hours usually).

So far i have checked for hard drive issues, CHKDSK found errors, and i scanned them in BOOT but it couldnt fix it. So i launched MHDD in a USB Bootable Stick and did a scan-remap on the drive, it found 35 bad blocks but they were remapped and fixed. Further scans with MHDD doesnt find more errors so i suppose that discards the HDD.

I have tried to check for malware but everytime i try to check for it, via Windows Defender or Malware Bytes it hangs in the process, maybe a bit after starting the main file checking or halfway there.

Also if i leave the PC idle downloading something, via browser, torrent or JDownloader2 it will hang usually after 30min-2hour of it, i notice it because the screen stays frozen also and i can check the time the pc hanged.

Im going to leave a report of my system specs via HWINFO.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

So far i have checked for hard drive issues, CHKDSK found errors, and i scanned them in BOOT but it couldnt fix it. So i launched MHDD in a USB Bootable Stick and did a scan-remap on the drive, it found 35 bad blocks but they were remapped and fixed. Further scans with MHDD doesnt find more errors so i suppose that discards the HDD.

This is perhaps the exact reason why you are experiencing hangs! Bad sectors are usually a result of physical damage to the hard disk. I would suggest you back-up all your personal files at once and replace the hard disk. You may consider running Seagate SeaTools for Windows, but keep in mind that it could make the situation even worse, or all tests could pass, giving you a false sense of security.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 MgDark

MgDark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

I did run Seagate Tools, i ran the short drive self test which passed and i let the long generic overnight, which also passed.

Another oddity i found, if i use a browser alone it would hang the pc, BUT if i leave a game open (atm i have Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance) in the background, the PC doesnt hangs, or ever, the pc doesnt hangs if im actually playing something, even if there are downloads and stuff, so im kinda lost in what would cause the hangs :/

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Is this a laptop or desktop? Please follow these instructions - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ I will repeat — it is best to replace your hard disk.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users