Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - Computer runs in safe mode, not regular mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lumoshi

Lumoshi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Hi, I'm having some problems fixing my bleeping computer (Windows 10 desktop computer, to be specific) and could use some assistance.

On Friday 15 December 2017, my computer ran fine when I woke up and used it for a few minutes in the morning. Before that date, I had very few problems with my computer running; the biggest issue was some freezing occurring while playing games demanding on processing power such as Civilization 5. However, I don't believe that is related to my current issue, as I last played it on Sunday 26 November 2017, and I had no issues with it on that day.

When I returned home later that day (15 December), I found my computer stuck on a blue screen. I'm not sure quite what happened, as my computer was not used during the day at all. I restarted several times, but I was not able to even make it to the user login screen before getting a blue screen. I've received error code 0xc0000142 for every blue screen.

Startup repair did nothing to resolve the situation. I am still able to run my computer in safe mode with networking and that's how I'm writing this post. For the past two weeks, I've been using safe mode to use my computer. I've looked online for solutions, but haven't gotten much. I've had some problems in safe mode with random freezes, but at least the computer runs most of the time, although with limited functionality.

My research led me to trying Windows + R and opening msconfig.exe and disabling all services that were not Microsoft services, then clicking Apply and OK. This had no effect as far as I can tell, because when I restarted the computer, the same problem occurred as mentioned in paragraph 3 (I could not start it without a blue screen).

I don't believe system restore is an option, as I have no saved restore points, although I'm not too knowledgeable about this. Refreshing/restarting windows would also be troublesome as I have all my files and programs on this computer without a backup (I will back them up eventually) and no means of transporting files back if I rebooted Windows (i.e. I have no external hard drive I could keep the files on). 

I've checked programs that were recently installed; the most recent program I saw was installed on Thursday 14 December 2017 (an update to Microsoft Office 2013), which was the day before I started having this issue.

I am looking for a solution to this problem. I'm hoping it is a software issue I can fix through uninstalling or something along those lines, as if it's a hardware issue, I cannot afford to purchase new parts for my computer. If anything can be done about this, let me know! Also tell me if I need to provide additional information, and I'll be glad to.

Thanks and happy new year!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

If you work OK in Safe Mode - but not in normal mode, it's most likely a software problem.

Hardware problems are possible, but nowhere near as likely as a software problem.

First thing I'd suggest is trying a clean boot.  It's similar to Safe Mode - but works in normal mode by disabling stuff.

It's also similar to disabling the services - but you'll disable more when doing a clean boot.

If a clean boot fixes the problem - then the problem was caused by one (or more) of the things you disabled for the clean boot.
Then it's just a matter of re-enabling things one at a time until you find the problem.

Perform a Clean Boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the problem, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.
Then uninstall the problem program (from Start...Settings...Apps...Apps & Features - if you don't find it there, check the right sidebar for Programs and Features and see if you can remove it from there).

Backup your stuff now.  There's no telling exactly what the problem is - so a backup is the best way to be prepared in case the system dies on you suddenly.

If this doesn't work, then post back and we'll ask for some reports to try and figure out what's going on.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users