Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Are either of these good?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thranduilien

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a new computer to game on, mostly I would like to play The Sims 3, Path of Exile and Grim Dawn. I don't do anything else that would be taxing for a computer (I have some ebooks and music) so my focus is on something that would play these games. I'm in Canada and would ideally like to buy from Costco, however I am aware that they don't have a really varied selection.

I don't know anything about the internal workings of a computer, how much I would need to spend to get a PC that would do what I want it to do and realistically I don't want to spend that much. I'll be hooking it up to my t.v. and I'll never be the type to want multiple monitors (I'm under the impression that is more taxing). I'm wondering if either of these would be any good, if I should keep looking or if I'll never get anything good for around $1,000 CAD.

I know the second one listed is for over $1k so I'm obviously willing to go a bit higher, but if the first is good enough I would like to keep the price down as much as possible. Keeping with full disclosure, after the warranty is up I could most likely find someone to add more RAM or other components to try and 'keep up' but I wouldn't want to mess with things while in the warranty. Anyone I could get to install a couple of parts I could NOT get to build a PC. (It's been the suggestion, even knowing I know nothing.)

I would really appreciate any help at all, I'm really clueless and have no idea what direction I should be going in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,282 posts
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Second one seem to have "OK" specs although there are many parts that have only generic description (PSU, SSD etc).

#3 MadmanRB

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Are you willing to go for a online option?

Not saying the HP omen is bad there as its got decent enough specs but you could do better with a prebuilt.

Its a shame that GPU priices are so outrageous right now as building your own computer usually offers you a better machine than a pre built but alas.

Unless you are willing to wait that is, right now GPU's are out of stock thanks to cryptomining and RAM prices are also going back up

For a good alternative I would go for origin PC right now

They offer many good customization options and at a fair price and offer payment plans.

Sure it will probably be more money but OriginPC offers a great prebuilt option

CyperopwerPC is okay as are some of the other pre built makers but Origin is very good.

In any case wait a bit, PC gaming right now is rather nuts thanks to overpriced GPU's and new parts will come out later this year.

It may be best to save your money so that when GPU prices become reasonable again it will pay off.

I would not buy that HP in any case, sure its a new machine now but best off to wait.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 January 2018 - 12:31 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users