Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output past UEFI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flameout

Flameout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hello, first off I apologize if this is the incorrect section - I'm not really sure where my issue fits in. I've also never made a post like this before so if I don't provide the necessary information again I'm sorry.

Information that I believe may be relevant:

Windows 10 Home (10.0.16299 Build 16299)

GTX 780 Ti (B00JE35TRI)

I've had the same components for around 3 years now and haven't really touched by PC internally since I built it, I started on Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10 once it became available for me, I also did a reinstall a few months ago for unrelated reasons.

For those months though everything has been fine, last night I was using it in the normal manner and my monitor started to flash between black and white, then back to the output for a second before going black for a second time and staying like that.

First I tried to open task manager and ALT+F4 my open programs but that had no effect so I restarted the computer, since then every time I do a standard boot once the UEFI screen passes my monitor says no input, I've left it there for a good hour just to be sure and it does not change. To add, the lights on my keyboard and mouse turn off once this happens.

Safe mode seems to work fine though, using this I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them, after restarting the problem still persists and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 01 January 2018 - 04:41 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Internal hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flameout

Flameout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

Update: Once using Display Driver Uninstaller I can boot normally, I've tried to install display drivers using Geforce Experience and the past 2 drivers manually from their archive but as soon as they install I get no output to my monitor again.

Edited by Flameout, 01 January 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Before you installed the new driver did you uninstall the old driver first?

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Flameout

Flameout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for responding dc3.

I'm not sure how to answer that first question so I'll just explain in full what I did with DDU and the drivers. As I mentioned in my first post I couldn't boot my PC normally (or maybe I could, but I couldn't see anything), I started by booting in "Safe Mode with Networking" from there I used DDU's "Clean and restart" option and then booted normally, from here I installed Geforce Experience... I did have it before but it seemingly disappeared (possibly when I tried to load it in Safe Mode and it errored out) it detected there was no driver and I used the "Express installation" option, part way through the install my screen went black and I had no output again.

I repeated this process 2 more times with the 2 previous driver versions from Nvidia's site (http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta) instaed of using Geforce Experience, again I used the "Express installation" option and the exact same thing occurred with no output part way through the install.

My PSU is a Corsair RM650 that hasn't been switched since I bought all the parts together.

Here's my Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jgnFKN6Pez5Df1cdmfcffVn

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

When you boot into Safe Mode the graphics driver loaded is a native Windows driver, not the NVIDIA graphics driver.  You probably noticed that quality of the image was rather grainy, similar to the newspaper's Sunday comics.

From what you have posted it does appear that the problem is driver related.

You do not need DDU to uninstall the NVIVIA graphics driver, this can be done in the Control Panel under Programs.  You need to uninstall your old NVIDIA driver before installing the new driver.  The following is from the NVIDIA website.

How do I uninstall my NVIDIA display drivers?

Driver files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers or when removing an older NVIDIA card and replacing it with a newer card. To uninstall your current NVIDIA Display Drivers from your system, follow these steps:

1) Go into your Control Panel
2) Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon
3) Select the NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers from the list of programs.
4) Click Change/Remove or Add/Remove button.
5) Confirm with Windows that you wish to continue with the uninstall

Note: A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved
nView profiles.
If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved
profiles will be deleted.
If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files
are saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.  If you take advantage of the nView profiles, you may wish to keep your custom nView profiles.

Once the driver files have uninstalled, Windows will request that you restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error warnings?  There is always the possibility of corrupt files.

Edited by dc3, 03 January 2018 - 10:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users