Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How reliable are recertified/refurbished and toshiba hard disks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tantrik

tantrik

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz (Channel B)
Undefined 2GB DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (Channel A)

Dear friends,

In my place recertified and refurbished western digital and seagate hard disks are available. These hard disks possess around 1-2 years of warranty depending on volume size but their prices are significantly lower than their original counterparts (seagate barracuda or western digital blue/black). How reliable and durable are these hard disks compared to their original equivalents?

Also there are toshiba hard disks with similar warranty periods and prices considerably lower than both seagate and western digital hard disks? How reliable and durable are toshiba hard disks compared to western digital and seagate hard disks?

Many years back I used a 80 GB western digital black hard disk which lasted closely to 5 years and then later used a 160 GB seagate barracuda hard disk which lasted for around 3 years and 8 months. Never used a recertified/refurbished and toshiba hard disk before. It would be great if anyone having or not having any kind of experience or expertise with such hard disks would share their views and thoughts here.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hard disk drives are extremely fragile (about 40 times more fragile than a raw egg) and it is virtually impossible to fix the damage caused by a single bump.

I will only buy hard disk drives that are either brand new or were refurbished by the original manufacturer.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Toshiba drives don't seem to have any worse reliability than any other, and they are competitively priced.  In the UK, they are priced about equally with Seagate with WD tending to be slightly more expensive, but it depends on model.  I've got a couple, a 3 Tb and a 2 Tb, had no issues with either.  I'm considering getting a few more X300's... The few models included in this report don't seem to show any real issues with them - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2017/

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 charlzden

charlzden

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

Spend a little more and get a brandnew one. You can't be sure of the reliability of used HD's.

#5 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

Thanks everyone for their suggestion. Highly appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users