Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing ~100 FPS in every game. Computer info inside + Videos.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tubbyqt

Tubbyqt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Hey! I found this site through google, hopefully someone here can help me fix my issue. Or tell me what to replace in my computer if something is broken.
I am not good at all with computers so if I missed any important info please let me know.

During the past month I have been experiencing a huge performance issue. Usually in the games I play I sit between 150-230 FPS. Often stable @ around 170.
Recently my FPS feels very random. Some days when I start my computer it starts off @ 200fps and then within 30 minutes it drops down to about 80 fps. Jumping between 40-130 fps. And usually becomes stable between 35-60 fps.. This includes screen tearing + very short screen freezes. 

I have tried to clean my computer, removing all dust. Including removing the graphic card to clean it carefully. I did have quite a lot of dust however after removing it all I had no in game improvements. I ran different malware programs on my computer and it appears to be clean.

I have bought home thermal paste + Isopropanol 99, and the items I need in order to remove both CPU and GPU and add new thermal paste. However I feel like it might not be of any use. Since my temperatures seems more then fine based on what I understand is "fine". I will regardless try it and hope for a better outcome.

(CPU never goves above 40 degrees but GPU can sometimes peak on near 90, however I still have fps issues when the GPU is @ 60 degrees)

My computer is rather old now so maybe I need to replace something in the computer but I have no idea about what. I hopefully do not need to buy a completely new computer and that is why I made the thread here!

PC Specs: 

Processor: i7-4770K 3.5 GHz

Ram: 16 GB

Grafic card: Gtx780Ti

Here is a few video clips that might help someone assist me.. any details that I most likely missed just comment about it and I will add it asap.
All clips are from the same game, however I have fps drops in every game I play. The 2nd clip includes Open Hardware Monitor + Taskmanager - NOTE sometimes CPU goes 100% on taskmanager but it is super rare happens once or twice a day. Otherwise it is around 20%. GPU is usually running @ 30-70%.

(4min video just to show case  how my fps usually goes, some days I can have 150+  fps for 2-3 hrs and other days I can sit on 50 fps from the moment I start my computer).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/212180541
Skip to 2min 30 for FPS drops. "Go told my friends that using vsync / window mode / fulscreen etc could fix the issue so I tried it in that clip". However I have the FPS issue in every game.

(Short clip when I exp low but stable fps with Open hardware + Task Manager open) - this is not the worst state but still annoying, the worst is when I sit on stable 30 fps.
My GPU usually runs hotter this is just to show that I have fps issues even when it is no hot.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/213555066

(This is how it looks when I use vsync on my 120 hz monitor, very unstable + a lot of screen tearing)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/212648736

Edited by Tubbyqt, 01 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

To me, it sounds like your graphics card is going bad. If you have a friend that has a similar card and wouldn't mind letting you test it that would be ideal. Running the card in the 80-90+ range isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will shorten it's life. Any hotter than 90C for extended periods of time would concern me.

V-sync is a nice setting if you're pushing FPS that's greater than your monitors refresh rate since it tries to match the FPS with the refresh rate. It wouldn't hurt in cases where your games are running a consistent 100+ FPS, but there's an underlining issue so it's not going to do much. If anything it should make it worse on those instances where your FPS is dropping to low rates.

First I'd test that GPU. Run a program like Valley Benchmark for your GPU. If you see the same issues in the benchmark than in your games - it would point at the GPU possibly starting to go out. Personally, I'd run Valley out of curiosity and then I'd likely bum a card off a friend to eliminate it from the list. If the problems are still there on a friends known-working card, then you'll know the problem is somewhere else. Could be RAM, could even be your processor. Testing RAM is quite simple too, I typically like to use MemTest86. 

| IT Service Tech | A+ Certified | Computer Gamer | iPhone Expert |

nIDwkQT.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users