Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop (HP 2000-2106TU) won't turn on/power up after reassembly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Since a week ago my laptop started shutting down (hibernating?) while I was doing something intensive like gaming. After I boot it I would get a message that my laptop had shutdown to avoid thermal damage, I read more about it online and decided it's time to clean the fan and the insides of the laptop... it sure had a lot of dust inside, all cleaned up now.

The problem is that my laptop (HP 2000-2106TU Notebook PC) had a design where I would have to take everything out until the motherboard (system board) to take out the fan/cooling system. I followed the manual and took everything apart, cleaned all of it, my dad used a mini vacuum clear to "blow out" the dust, I believe he did it carefully and did not blow anything important.

After the cleaning I assembled all of the parts back in, some of the screws were in the wrong places (some screws were missing, I blame the repair guy who repaired this laptop's display ~2 years ago) but everything was fit and not falling apart, quite robust if you ask me.

I put the battery in (final part in the assembling process), Fingers crossed and pressed the power button... nothing! No lights, no beeps, no spinning noise, nothing. As if the power button was not pressed at all :(

My dad disassembled it again to take a look at all the connectors, all of them were connected correctly to my knowledge, but my dad re-did everything to just make sure. We started it again, but nothing like the last time.

Dad plugged in the power adapter/charger to the laptop and he saw the indicator light which shows if it is charging lit up, it was glowing in white color according to my dad (I wasn't there), white indicates that the battery is full, which is correct because I always keep it plugged in while I am at home.

We both tried pressing the power button while it was plugged in, but sadly no response like our previous failures. I am currently a little worried and little frustrated.

Can anyone give me advice that I can try? Maybe it's something obvious that we didn't notice :-/

I made sure that the connector for the power button is connected to the system board (motherboard), however I am not able to make sure, the ZIF connectors are too easy to connect...

640px-ZIF_connector_and_FFC.jpg

(Not mine. Source: Wikipedia)

Edited by TheDcoder, 01 January 2018 - 09:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

common sense would say its something you did,

you will just have to go back and look at your wire connectors closely....use a magnifying glass,

pay close attention to the ribbon cable connectors.....the ones where you lift up a plastic flap, put the connector in, then close the plastic flap......sometimes its hard to tell if the ribbon cable is in position properly,

are you getting a power light of any kind when you plug your power cord in?....any lights at all?

Edited by mikey11, 01 January 2018 - 09:03 AM.

#3 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

I didn't think the wire connectors were that sensitive... are you referring to the ZIF connectors where you lift the plastic flap thing to insert the flat connector "cable"? I indeed find it hard to position and one of the connector's blue pull thingy on top came off too but it isn't major, it's just the touch pad's connector.

I and my dad did this separately so I doubt that is the problem...

About the light, I mentioned that when I plug in the power adapter to the laptop, it's "charging" indicator lights up. No lights or reaction except that.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

yes im referring to those connectors,

the first place i would start is trace where your power button connects to the MB

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

I indeed find it hard to position and one of the connector's blue pull thingy on top came off too but it isn't major,

If the ribbon cable is loose you can shim it with some plastic. Iv'e have a laptop that every so often will not boot, no power, when I press the power button. Same thing on a desktop. Doing a powercycle brought them back. On the laptop remove the battery and power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord but not the battery. See if the computer boots. Probably will not fix your problem but it's a easy test.

I would also replace the CMOS battery while you have the computer torn down.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 January 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#6 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

@mikey11 First thing I did was making sure that the power button's connector is okay, next thing is checking the power main connector.

@JohnC_21 Thanks for the link and advice, very useful. I did the power cycle thing and it didn't work, but I tried it anyway, since it was simple :)

I don't have a new CMOS so I will leave the old one in.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

A CMOS battery cost all of five dollars US.  If you believe there is even a chance that this battery is failing you should replace it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

It's actually much cheaper here in India, just don't want to bother replacing it as it seems good. All was working fine on New Year Eve's morning, must be something else in the system board.

#9 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:56 AM

My laptop finally booted, after a 3rd reassembly by me.

Turns out the power button's connector wire wasn't properly connected to the ZIF connector, Dad made a plastic thingy to insert in which should make the bunch tighter, also made similar plastic things for other loose connectors, similar to what John_C21 suggested :)

Not all happy news for me though, the keyboard started acting up, a few keys were not working, especially the "Esc" key, it worked once but I have to remove it again to make some adjustments inside, sadly after that the Esc key never worked! :(

I tested the keyboard using some online service (I was using Parted Magic to do this) and keys like Esc, Tab, 1 (number), some F keys etc. were not working... I am thinking there is some fault in the keyboard's connector, I saw a small slit which maybe a sign of breakage... My dad also bent the keyboard significantly while trying to get it back into shape (it was some what bent from previous attempts to pop it out)

Does anyone have suggestion for a partially not working keyboard?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

You said you live in India. I found this but the seller rating is not high.

https://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-KEYPAD-FOR-HP-2000-2106TU-LAPTOP-KEYBOARD-NOTEBOOK-KEYBOARD/253252135545?hash=item3af700ea79:g:GbMAAOSwevlaBYiJ

#11 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Yep, I live in India :)

I already had found that on ebay, I am planning to buy it, I just came back inquiring about the keyboard replacement at multiple places/shops, all of them quoted me a higher price than the one mentioned in eBay.

Let's see...

#12 TheDcoder

TheDcoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Okay, I got the new keyboard and it works! I ordered the same item as linked above :)

I noticed that the little black-flap was put in the wrong way, I took it out and changed the orientation and it fit without much hassle, and it snapped in when I pressed it down, indicating a secure connection between the ribbon cable and ZIF connector!

My laptop is working again. Damn those ZIF connectors...

Anyway, the lesson is that always check your ZIF connectors and make sure the cables are attached safely! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users