Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots automatically

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 infinity124

infinity124

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:33 AM

Hi all,

I was posting in another section of the forum and was advised to seek assistance from this section as problem could be hardware related. My previous post can be accessed for further information: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/665083/pc-reboots-automatically-during-gaming/

Computer keeps on rebooting mainly when I am using too much power or graphics however I do not know how to check where the problem is originating from and it is driving me nuts. Appreciate some assistance & guidance please as I cannot seem to see a pattern as to where the problem is and I am not that computer savvy.

Few things I have noticed are:

- While playing games, the pc reboots either when having lowest or highest graphics so there is no conclusive pattern as my pc definitely supports the lowest graphics. Sometimes it even reboots in game menus which aren't graphically demanding.

- I have tried some of the software that monitor and test pc hardware such as furmark, prime95, speedfan and CPUID HW Monitor. Sometimes the pc reboots when running prime95 or furmark alone (but very rare). The majority of times it reboots when I am running both of them together (both the CPU and GPU would be running at 100% during these times). However, there are instances when it does not reboot even when these are running together, therefore there is no conclusive pattern again. Is there a way to test the PSU with a software just in case? as I do not have another 1 available and no tools to test it manually.

- Temperatures seem to be running normal when running furmark or prime95; GPU hovering around 66 degrees Celsius (40 if GP fan is set to full) and CPU circa 55 degrees celcius.

- Dont think that this has to do with this but noticed that date and time are always resetting upon rebooting (so CMOS battery is probably failing and needs to be replaced.

Is there a way to improve the tests that I am doing in order to single out the problem or maybe there is other software that I can use to create a report on these tests so that I can post them?

Could it also be a setting somewhere were my pc automatically reboots upon reaching certain temperatures, psu supply or something? Can I check this out without manually testing the psu as I do not have the tools or another one to try?

When I am not using any programs mentioned above or games and I set both GPU and CPU fans to maximum power the computer does not reboot. Does this mean that there is enough power being supplied so psu is not an issue?

I tried resetting windows and formatted everything but problem still persists.

Thank you

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4970K

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 16 GB

PSU: Corsair CX750

Windows 10 Insider build

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

Hello there

Speccy link as follows: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EcEZfjtIcb7SCqCmcuf8xtv

Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

Might I also add that I have formatted this pc again yesterday so there is practically almost nothing installed yet. The problem was happening even when I had all drivers up to date.

Thank you for your assistance

Edited by infinity124, 01 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

At a quick glance I don't see anything to be concerned about in the Speccy.

Have you tried updating your graphics driver?

One thing you can try would be to boot into Safe Mode and see if this problem persists there.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphic driver, it does not use the NVIDIA driver you have installed.  The quality of the image in Safe Mode is grainy, but what we are interested in is seeing if the problem does not occur in Safe Mode.  If the problem doesn't persist, this is a strong indication that there is a graphics driver problem.

Remember that if you enable the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to boot into Safe Mode every time you start the computer.  You will need to go back to System Configuration and remove the check from the Safe boot box to stop it from loading.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

I updated gpu driver and problem still there. May I also point out that pc was formatted so all software was deleted and problem still happened. I tried running in safe mode however the game that I'm testing it with runs very slowly and therefore cannot be tested and furmark requires openGL so it cannot run in safe mode.

How do you suggest we proceed please?

Many tks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

I did not miss the fact that you reinstalled Windows and the problem still persists.  The reinstall installed all of the Windows drivers, but not the NVIDIA GeForce driver, that was up to you. 

See if this driver works for you.   NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

#7 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

That is the driver I used for update and pc still rebooting unfortunately.

EDIT: just in case, I tried using the RAM sticks individually and in different memory slots as well as Graphics card in another slot but still the same.

Edited by infinity124, 02 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#8 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Do you have any further suggestions on what I could try please?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Your motherboard is listed as having integrated graphics.  Disconnect the dedicated card and see what happens with the integrated graphics.

#10 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Using the integrated graphics did not crash my pc during gaming. Is it possible to start reducing the possibilities of what is at fault? (Psu/mobo/gpu come to mind unless I am not mistaken)

Thanks again

Edited by infinity124, 05 January 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Is it possible to start reducing the possibilities of what is at fault?

That is exactly what we have been doing.  It looks like the problem is either with the GPU or its driver.  Let me see what I can find for GeForce website which will do a scan of you computer and make a suggestion for a driver.

#12 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Great, thanks!

What I meant with PSU or motherboard is:
- is it possible that PSU is going bad or maybe not producing enough power?
- is it possible that the motherboard is going bad or the PCI-E slots are damaged or something?

Are these possible or would they have been caught with the tests and surveillance done by speccy/furmark/prime95 etc?

Please excuse my ignorance  :P

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

I just posted my diagnosis of this problem.  Let's pursue this.

Please go to GeForce and click/tap on Auto detect your GPU.

This will find the best suited driver for  your computer.

#14 infinity124

infinity124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

The best suited driver is the 388.71 which you had suggested a couple of posts earlier and is currently installed on my pc

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

Is this what the Geforce auto detect suggested?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users