Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck At Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jack trapped by Vaio

jack trapped by Vaio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:24 PM

HI
Running a Vaio PC with XP Home SP2. After a trip, PC won't boot. Just displays MFG name on screen. Have tried all the Function button tricks and no good.

No recovery disk. (still on the boat).

Any gurus with an idea??

Thanks

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

Make sure there is no disk in the cd drive.

Try entering the bios setup and look at the boot order.

Make sure the HD is either the first or second device to boot from.

You may have to open the computer to make sure the wires to the hd haven't come loose too.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

Since it's not getting to Windows, I doubt that it's an OS problem. You mentioned that the recovery CD is still on the boat - did you move recently?

If so, it might be that one of the cards or cords got jiggled loose. Unplug the system from the wall, open up the case, and hold the metal of the case with one hand while checking the connections with the other.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

Clarification here:

- it is a PC, not a laptop?
- you have not tried a repair with an XPhome cd then(not the restore disk you mention)
- you have not tried safemode because you cannot use F8 button, so pull out the power pug about ten seconds after booting, put the plug back in and reboot, that will offer you safemode.

Edited by fleamailman, 28 September 2006 - 06:01 PM.

everyday is a gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users