Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Displaying Laptop Screen On My New Lcd

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sambs8

sambs8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

I have just bought a Samsung LE26R74BDX 26" HD Ready LCD TV.

I am trying to use it as a screen for my laptop. Ideally I would like to be able to have both on at the same time but if this is not possible it would not be the end of the world to have to flick between the two.

I am using a 15 pin VGA lead at both ends.

When I hit my laptop shortcut key to switch between the monitors (Fn+F5) it just beeps and doesnt do anything.

It is a packard bell laptop.

If anyone could help I would be eternally grateful!!!!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:06 AM

What is the exact model of your laptop? Check in the back and see if there is a s-video hookup up in the back.

#3 sambs8

sambs8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:08 AM

It does not have an s-video, it only has the 15 hole blue VGA...

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

Well I'm not sure if you could hook a vga into a TV screen. You would probably need something like this http://www.smarthome.com/7743.html . If you already have something like this, make sure you have the drivers for the device, how have you been trying to hook this up?

#5 sambs8

sambs8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

I am using a 15 pin VGA lead which is the same at both ends of the lead. Both my LCD TV and my Laptop have ports into which this lead will plug.

The TV recognises that a PC is attached to it (the 'PC' channel enables itself which it does not do when the laptop is not plugged in) but the screen remains blank.

I am relatively sure it is something to do with the settings/hardware on my laptop...

Cheers for the help so far...much appreciated!!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

I don't know about this (but am interested in it myself) - I suspect that you may need a driver for the TV to work. Try checking the manual to see if there's any special requirements. Does the box say that it's PC capable?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:32 AM

Try pressing Function F5 or Function F8. It should look like a mini screen on you 'F' Keys. It will transfer between viewing on the Laptop, to viewing on the external screen, to viewing on both and back again.
Might look like one of these:
http://chdcsedtech.fullerton.edu/Pix/EC31Help/F8.jpg
or
http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/aa/academic...a_satellite.jpg

The function key is this one...if you weren't aware:

http://chdcsedtech.fullerton.edu/Pix/EC31Help/Fn.jpg

See how ya go!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 mrs ed

mrs ed

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:50 AM

Did you try this ?
go
star,control panel,apparence and themes,screen resolution,then atach bot monitors

av-90996.gif

#9 sambs8

sambs8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for your replies..

I have tried function and F5 (where the external monitor icon is) and it beeps and doesnt do anything..

I have also tried the attach other monitor setting which it seems to accept but doesnt actually do anything re the picture on the LCd... any other ideas?!

Oh, and the TV didnt come with any driver or other software, nor does it say it needs any

#10 mrs ed

mrs ed

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:24 AM

No beep:Short,No power,Bad CPU/MB,Loose Peripherals
One Beep:Everything is normal and Computer POSTED FINE
TwO Beeps:POST/CMOS Error
One long Beep,One Short Beep:Motherboard Problem
One long Beep,two Short Beeps:Video Problem
One long Beep,three Short Beeps:Video Problem
Three Long Beeps:Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continous Hi-Lo Beeps:CPU Overheating

1 short beep
Normal POST - system is ok

2 short beeps POST Error - error code shown on screen
No beep Power supply or system board problem

Continuous beep Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps Power supply or system board problem

1 long, 1 short beep System board problem

1 long, 2 short beeps Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)

1 long, 3 short beeps Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

3 long beeps 3270 keyboard card
av-90996.gif

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

I was unable to locate your particular model on the Samsung website. But a review of a couple of other manuals indicates that drivers may be necessary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 sambs8

sambs8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

this is the link to the TV on the samsung website...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/televis...26r74bdxxeu.asp

It is one short beep.. not sure where that leaves me!

Thanks so much for your responses im praying the resolution is in sight!

A driver would explain the problem, but it is curious that one did not come with the tv (and I have searched the web for drivers but cannot find any)

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

OK, I checked the link and found the link to the manual on the right side of the page.

From reading the manual, it doesn't say anything about drivers - so I presume that there aren't any needed (plus, the "hype" about the monitor seems to indicate that the setup is "easy").

So, I RTFM and found this:
1) You've got to setup the monitor in XP as it shows on page 30 (right click on your Desktop, select Properties, then select the Settings tab. Set your resolution for Optimum (1360x768). If you're able to set the Refresh rate - set it to 60 Hz.
2) Then (and this is where it confuses me) you'll have to set the monitor as it says on page 31 of the manual. I presume that these pictures are from the setup screen on your LCD. The first 3 steps should make the PC show on the monitor - but I'd do them all just to be sure.

#14 pontius

pontius

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem!

I have a Fujitsu- Siemens Amilo M1425 and a samsung LE27t5. I have tried the tv with other proples laptops and it works I have check my computer on other monitors and it works so it seem to be something specific about the interaction!

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (the driver is a few years old but it can't be updated for some reason) so it has a plethora of otions but none seem to work!

Please help!!!!

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:45 AM

There may be a setting in the BIOS or in the Operating System to enable the TV - have you checked for that? Is there anything in the manual about enabling it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users