Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Reset my Notebook without a System Image available

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 potGrabbit

potGrabbit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

This time sh*t really hit the fan for me. The problem is a little more complicated than stated in the title, so here's the story (you can theoretically skip the first part):

My father's notebook (HP Envy M7-N, WIN 10 OS) kept recieving various BSOD's, which he asked me to fix for him. Trying to locate the problem, I googled the specific BSOD Notification "Memory Management", which indicates a RAM-defect. In addition to this, after restarting Windows reported an issue concerning the file "ontology.dll", I wanted to delete this file assuming some connection with the BSOD, but after some research I found out this file often causes Problems being identified as a "false positive" trojan, so I left it untouched. Still trying to figure out what could be wrong with the RAM, the Notebook crashed again, but this time with a completely different Code for the BSOD (I wasn't quick enough to take a photo but was defenitly no more "memory management"). So I figured the problem must be different from just a RAM issue, causing me to proceed with a "system recovery". Unfortunately, my father has been having this issue for quite some time, so none of the available dates were before his first BSOD encounter. After some more failed bugfixes, I concluded that now the only way out is a complete reset back to factory settings and if this won't help, it's definitly a hardware issue. 

So I conducted a soft factory reset (soft meaning that the data would not be carefully formated as if you would do when passing the computer on to someone else, but just deleted) on the Win 10. During this process, all of a sudden the computer shut down and restarted, reporting Erorr message: "The Computer restarted unexpectedly and encountered an unexpected Error". When Clicking "ok" the computer restarted again, reporting the same Error, again and again into a loop. At this point I was like: sh*t. But HEY! I thought, a while ago I made a boot partition on a Stick. So I brute force shut down the Computer and restarted it with my stick inserted. This time it was able to boot into UEFI and I was like "Halelujah". Now using the stick I conducted a hard factory reset, taking the whole night. The next morning I see the reset was able to complete. Now starting the computer up again, the exact same error message "The Computer restarted unexpectedly and encountered an unexpected Error" showed up, causing some frustration. More Precisely: When starting up, the HP loading screen appears, then disappears quickly into blackscreen, then reappears, and then the error message pops up. 

So I googled the error message (yes I should have done this one step before but afterwards you're always smarter) and was able to fix the issue using command prompt. Long story short: You gotta change a Value 1 into 3. Now the Computer was able to fully boot into operating system and I was able to set up a new account for my father. When the setup completed, I noted something strange. I wasn't able to connect to the Internet and the sound wasn't available either. Turns out the Boot-Stick which I had used was based on my own MSI Laptop, and I had Windows 8.1 on this one. Not the HP laptop of my father which previously had Windows 10. This caused some major Issues of course, mainly relating to the drivers (in this case for sound, wlan and lan. Mouse works). Other than that, the OS seems to be operating just fine, however it mistakens the HP for a MSI (there's the MSI bloatware on it now).

Before causing more damage I decided to turn to you guys for help. Should I

A: stick with the "wrong" operating system and try to just manually install all the drivers? I have no access to the Internet on that laptop so would have to do it via USB. 

or

B: Get a Stick with Win10-Uefi boot option on it, and from there on conduct another factory reset?

or

C: whatever you suggest. 

I think B is the valid option. Now this brings me to the problem that I can't just create a System Image of course, since there is a wrong OS on my Notebook now. So how can I get a bootable template for Windows 10 on my Stick and make sure it Works on my father's HP Notebook?

I appreciate the time you took to just read this and will be happy for any kind of advice!

Edited by potGrabbit, 31 December 2017 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hello potGrabbit,

You will need a couple of USB thumb drives for this, one at least 8GB or more for the new version of Windows 10 ISO.

Download and save to the smaller thumb drive all of the correct drivers for the HP notebook.

Download a Windows 10 ISO from here using the second option on the list.

After installing Windows 10, install the HP chipset drivers and go from there, a lot of modern computers get on fine once the proper chipset drivers have been installed, any problems such as with the wireless device simply install the correct drivers for it and test. 

Edited by PhillPower2, 31 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#3 potGrabbit

potGrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hi Phil

so when setting up the ISO for Win10 it says "make sure that the chosen edition of windows is identical to the edition of windows on the Computer you'll use it on". Now that I put Win 8.1 on the HP, this is no longer the case, shall I still use Win10? (from my experience licencing is never such an issue for windows, since they just want you to run their OS). 

Also, where can I find an adequate Chipset of drivers required for my HP?

Thanks alot.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

Hi potGrabbit,

It does not matter about the Windows 8.1 that was installed by mistake, the version of Windows 10 and matching product key that was originally used on the HP notebook will be stored on the Microsoft database (most likely for Windows 10 Home 64-bit) + you will be formatting the HDD as part of the procedure thus getting rid of Windows 8.1 in the process.

There is more than one version of the HP Envy M7-N, checked with Google you need to find the exact model on the HP website to download the drivers from, this unless you still have access to any HP Windows 10 driver/utility disk that originally shipped with the notebook.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Microsoft has changed the ISO download, slightly, in the Media Creation Tool when you're getting the ISO for use on computers other than the one you're downloading on.

The only thing I've seen recently as far as ISO download is you need to know whether you need the 64-bit version (which is by far the most likely) versus the 32-bit version.  The correct bit-level ISO can and will install either Home or Pro if you are reinstalling on a machine previously running Windows 10 and can do the same when installing from scratch, but then it depends on what you bought the license key for.

I know that the last time I tried to download the 64-bit ISO to a USB drive directly within the MCT the 4GB drive I had been using for quite a while was not large enough.  You'll need an 8GB flash drive at a minimum.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

I would opt to purchase recovery discs directly from HP, which will end up creating partitions and files on your HDD that were identical to the ones lost when Windows 8.1 was inadvertently installed onto the system.

If you don't use the factory HP USB/Disc, you won't have the HP Recovery partition on the system.

In fact, you should check to see if the W10 Recovery Partition is still on the HDD - you never know. While booting the system up, press the ESC key. Other keys may be F2, F10 or F12.

To purchase HP Recovery media -
- https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143
- https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00707939

The last time that I purchased the HP recovery discs, the cost was USD $27.00.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

There you go, you have two different options that are totally different and both accomplish different ends. I would choose Brian's method because it is quicker, easier and cheaper, but it is your choice.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users