Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restored files from another PC then Access Denied

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 calrodz_93

calrodz_93

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi! 

I have just registered in this website because I don't seem to find the solution to my situation, so here's the story:

My sister bought a laptop a few weeks ago and it came preinstalled with windows 8, so I immediately suggested to upgrade to Windows 10 which I find easier to use, so I did that for her but the Pc became really laggy and so slow to boot up that I had to configure sleep and hibernation. So my sister told me that she wanted to go back to the original windows that came on the laptop, so I made a backup of the files to another hard drive (I opened up the laptop and extracted the HDD an plugged it in my Desktop PC) and then, used One Key recovery from the laptop (Lenovo) so it has Windows 8 or 8.1 (Im not sure but it does have Start button) So I restored the files from the other HDD but I get a message saying "Access Denied" and "Use the security Tab to enable ownership" and I have actually seen videos on how to take ownership of the folder but with no luck. So I hope you could help me to sort that out, I was thinking that maybe the file system of Windows 10 is slightly different that of W8  because I get sometimes the error "Destination or file is corrupted"

So I am thinking of two possible solutions to this:

-Be able somehow to gain access to folders again and everything cool and good (preferred)

-Clean install W10 and see if I can access the files that way

Thanks in advance, I will attach some screenshots, If you need more please tell me

Happy new year!

Attached Files

• Attached File  Capture.PNG   17.09KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.PNG   31.73KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.PNG   9.64KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calrodz_93

calrodz_93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

Update: The Pc ran a HDD scan for errors on the unit and fixed them, after some reboots and some BSOD everything worked, I can access all the files now and sometimes I just get the "You need Admin rights to access this folder" so I just press OK and everything good.

Thanks for the ones who took the time to read my post.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

Very nice save on the system!!

What BSODs are you getting?

If they continue, be sure to post in our BSOD forum for help.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users