Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on trying to follow this tutorial

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sjensen1

sjensen1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Before I knew that Windows 7 wouldn't see all 3 TB of a new hard drive, I installed a 2nd hard drive and put Windows 7 on it thinking I may need to start using it as my main hard drive. It turned out that it wasn't my main HDD failing, but an internal storage HDD failing, so now I need to use this new 3 TB hard drive as storage instead of the OS drive. I have this tutorial to follow to convert the 3 TB drive to GPT so I can use all 3 TBs, but there's two things "wrong" that I'm encountering. First, this 3 TB drive is all ready partitioned and has Windows installed on it, so there's Windows files and AMD and Radeon folders, drivers, etc. Second, when I right click on the the label, everything is greyed out, so I can't progress through the tutorial.

My first thought is to format the 3TB drive to delete windows from it, but in my computer directory, I have my C drive, a System Reserved E drive, and a Local Disk F drive. E and F are the new ones (my previous storage drive that I'm replacing was removed from the machine so that I wouldn't get confused in the disk management window). So, pretty much, at this point, I don't know what I should do next. Will formatting the drive remove all the partitions and files so it will look like the picture in the tutorial and giving me the options when I right click on the label? Will formatting the drive also remove the System Reserved E drive? Here's the link for the tutorial I'm following:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2581408/windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2017 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

I am assuming you have 3 drives, the original Windows 7 OS drive, a data drive, and the new 3TB drive with a Windows 7 install on it, correct?

If you detach both the data drive and the new 3TB drive from the motherboard the computer will still boot Windows from the original drive, correct?

There is not data needed on the 3tb drive, correct?

If all of the above are true connect the 3TB drive and boot to Windows 7. Download and Install Partition Wizard. Run Partition Wizard and select your 3TB drive.

Delete All Partitions

Initialize the drive as GPT

Create a primary NTFS partition.

Note: Partition Wizard steps are all virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked allowing you to back out of any step. Partition Wizard also has an option to convert MBR to GPT but I don't know if this is possible on a MBR System Disk, at least for the free version. You could give it a try but if you do not need any info on the 3TB I would do the above steps to start  from a clean slate.

#3 sjensen1

sjensen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thank you, this worked, but is there a way to get the partitions exactly 2 TB and 1 TB? I now have a 1.90 TB partition, and an 841 GB partition.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Not sure I understand as following my instructions you would have one partition, or did you use the MBR convert command

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

You can't resize the 2TB and 1TB because of the way Windows sizes disks vs advertised size. A 3TB advertised disk is actually sized as 2794GB or 2.8TB.

http://www.endmemo.com/data/diskcapacity.php

#5 sjensen1

sjensen1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

When I followed the instructions, the wizard asked me what size I wanted for the partition, so I said 2000000 MB, because I thought I needed to split it up into 2 pieces so Windows can see all 3 TB. That left me with unallocated space, so I though I had to partition it to use it. Not the case?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,619 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

Once you delete all partitions and initialized the disk as GPT you could create one primary partition on the drive. It's not necessary to split it up if the drive was initialized as GPT. If you initialized the drive as GPT you can delete the smaller partition and expand the remaining partition to take up the full disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users