Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop: i3 SSD vs. i5 HDD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

As i3 laptops can be quite slow (even new ones), what would be a better choice speed-wise for web browsing, word processing and video watching, a i3 SSD or a i5 HDD?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

"i3" tells nothing. "i5" tells nothing.

Tell more precisely what models those i3 and i5 are.

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

Something like this (or similar), or an Asus Vivobook or ZenBook.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Problem is that there are quite many i3 and i5 CPU's out there:

https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95545/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors

https://ark.intel.com/products/series/88394/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors

https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95543/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors

https://ark.intel.com/products/series/88393/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors

There are more and not all are mobile parts but you can see that "i3" or "i5" can be almost anything.

So if you want to compare CPU's, pick some laptop models you like and check what CPU's they hold. Then I can say which CPU is better.

#5 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Based on most computers I looked at, I'd say 7th Gen i3 SSD vs. 7th Gen i5 HDD. Both with 3MB cache and a abse of 2._ or 3._ GHz. And let's assume dual core.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

With the SSD it will not matter as it will make up for some of the pitfalls of the i3.

There are pros and cons with both here, more space with the i5 model but it will run slower

The i3 has a lower processor but will make it up by having the SSD but you wont have as much space to deal with.

If speed is your concern go with the i3 as with the SSD it wont matter.

But speed and space the i5 model will be better and besides you can get a SSD into it later on.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,340 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

I agree with MadmanRB.

It's quite impossible to make recommendations about CPU unless knowing exact models.

#8 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

With the SSD it will not matter as it will make up for some of the pitfalls of the i3.

There are pros and cons with both here, more space with the i5 model but it will run slower

The i3 has a lower processor but will make it up by having the SSD but you wont have as much space to deal with.

If speed is your concern go with the i3 as with the SSD it wont matter.

But speed and space the i5 model will be better and besides you can get a SSD into it later on.

128GB of storage space is enough for this laptop, so it's speed during booting and running programs that's the only factor. As such it seems (as I surmised) that an i3 SSD is better than a i5 HDD. Obviously we're talking about when the CPU generation, clock speed, cache, number of cores and graphics is the same in both.

Edited by bcmo, 31 December 2017 - 06:19 PM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Indeed, i would justy go with the SSD model, really no real advantage to the i5 in this case except for it may be a slightly better procssor

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Another idea!  Get the i5 put an SSD in it, then put the bigger drive in an enclosure for storage.  Bet you can do that for under $150 and end up with a better all around system.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

Eh the i5 and i3 are close in spec in laptops  so there really are not too many advantages to the i5 except it being maybe faster and slightly better.

If they are not rendering or anything it wont make a whole hoot of a difference.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

Another idea!  Get the i5 put an SSD in it, then put the bigger drive in an enclosure for storage.  Bet you can do that for under $150 and end up with a better all around system.

Unfortunately I don't know how to add components to a laptop, so whatever I buy that's what it remains.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

If you are genuinely interested in learning how to upgrade laptops in general I have two recommendations:

1.  There are YouTube videos for virtually any replacement and/or upgrade for almost every available model, or a close analogue, available.  When I'm faced with working on a model I've not previously taken apart this is the first place I look to assess how complicated the disassembly (and corresponding reassembly) is to get to a given part.

2.  Do a web search on the precise model you're dealing with and the phrase "service manual."  I am really pleasantly surprised at how common it has become to make the actual service manuals available via support sites much like the owner's manual, etc.  These contain really detailed step-by-step instructions for replacing virtually any component you can name.  The reason I like the videos is that the step-by-steps sometimes make things appear far more complicated than they actually are in practice.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Just a little while back I put an SSD in my Toshiba LT that has an i3, what took a little time was the cloning software which came withe the SSD, the physical drive change took about 20 minutes.  It is one of the easiest internals to change, a more than simple operation.  The speed is absolutely amazing!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

My 2 cents:

Get the i5 and put the SSD in it. OldPhil makes an excellent point about using the old HDD as an external drive - a nice external HDD can be very handy. Just like britechguy mentioned, it's very easy to find a how-to video and as a IT Service Technician myself I can't stress the online manuals enough. First thing I usually do is look up the manual for how-to's on replacing components; every laptop/device is different.

PS: Replacing an HDD on most laptops is a cake walk. The majority have a little window that you can take off and its right there, you simply slide it out and slide the new one in! 

Edited by C0bra, 11 January 2018 - 12:04 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users