Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are OEM's Required To Stock Parts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Are OEM's Required To Stock Parts for a certain amount of years, like cars and motorcycles are?  I looked it up with no luck.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

Sort of if you count aftermarket parts and refurbs, I know laptop batteries are sometimes supported for many years after the fact.

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 December 2017 - 10:07 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

Manufacturers are not under legal obligation to keep parts for repairs.  But it does behoove the company to keep stock components on hand for repair purposes at least.  There is probably R&D going on at these plants which would also involve keeping components for that purpose.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

They do have certain legal obligations with regards to consumer protection, and it varies by jurisdiction. They could not for example, in places with reasonable laws, sell a PC, have it fail 6 months down the line, and then just tell the customer "sorry we don't keep spares, you'll have to buy a new one".  I don't think any general consumer protection law would specify that a manufacturer needs to keep spare parts.  However they would specify that the manufacturer needs to repair or replace products with a manufacturing defect within a certain reasonable time period.  If the manufacturer wanted to give each customer who's PC developed a fault an entirely new computer because they didn't keep replacement parts, that would be up to them (but probably not very financially sensible).

If you're talking long out of warranty and out of production computers, then I don't think there is any guarantee that spares will always be available.  The market being what it is, there'll normally be someone who identifies that there's money to be made out of spares, and some sort of secondary market for spare parts will exist.

Edited by jonuk76, 31 December 2017 - 11:28 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hey jonuk76

I believe most are 1yr, so they will replace with the same or better.

I don't think any general consumer protection law would specify that a manufacturer needs to keep spare parts.

Yes, these laws exist, at least in the US, just not in the Computer business I guess?  I know they did exist with Motorcycles and Auto's and just assume they still do.  I'm guessing there are more areas that there are laws that dictate this.  As you know there are big battles going on to keep computers from ending up in the Recycle Center.  The OEM's are being forced to make computers that are repairable, because they were heading the the opposite direction, making throw away computers.  Don't have time to look it up now.

If you're talking long out of warranty and out of production computers, then I don't think there is any guarantee that spares will always be available. 

Yes and No, but I've tried getting parts for pc's only 4yrs old, and they are no longer available from the manufacturer.  I suppose if there is only a One Year Warranty then Two years is a long time, I don't know? 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

ebay is an excellent place to find certain oem used or oem new old stock computer parts for almost next to nothing or has been for me.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Yes it is Tooman, but I detest miss-orders, and having to send things back etc.  OEM's should carry parts for a certain amount of time after the release of the pc.  Or have good enough relationships with producers of these parts to go to the source, and get new good parts with less hassle.  Arrrggggggg...those OEM's, how do they get away with this.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

OEMs (computer systems) are in the same class as any other business entity selling commodities or services.

Outside of warranty provisions...they have no obligation to carry/maintain inventory levels  for whatever they are selling...other than those which are dictated by proper inventory managment principles.  That's just plain old everyday business and principles are pretty much the same, whether it's your local grocery, your car manufacturer or dealer, your designated vendor for any item or service.

To expect anything other than that...well, those expectations are not grounded in reality.  Especially so when one considers that the goal of manufacturers...is to sell NEW items.  They do not particularly care about aftermarket issues for customers that are out of the warranty period...nor should they.

The aftermarket business entities are not partners nor subsidiaries of the OEMs and the management of their businesses is dictated by the management strategy that each entity chooses to employ.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

Been my experience that after 1 year from expiration of warranty it is "iffy" whether you can get parts. Most of these big manufacturers do not make their own parts, they outsource to professional jobbers. So...they stock a certain amount of parts that commonly fail on each new model, and when those stocks are depleted they would lose money by ordering more "just to have them on hand, just in case".  You can get them from 3rd party vendors online far cheaper anyway, so there is no serious profit to be made by stocking them. After initial sale, holding parts inventory is a liability, not an asset.  It costs them more to have that inventory sitting on a shelf in the warehouse than any profit to be made in after-sales. In addition, the manufacturer must order in huge amounts, not just in single digits, or the jobber doesn't want the order. To keep inventory on each model for 10 years would be a cost-accountant's nightmare.

All this especially applies to OEM motherboards.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

I'll back up the rest.  I've never heard of a requirement to stock spares.  Normally if it fails late in the warranty you'll get an upgraded replacement.  If you need extended parts availability you'd need to stick with the manufacturer's business lines.  The business lines normally have fewer changes and models do not change for six months to a year.

Things aren't as bad as they used to be when technology was changing quickly so that finding parts that would fit the slots you had available became more difficult the longer you owned a machine.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Well said ranchhand_

Thanks Kilroy

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh