Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing when gaming

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jack562

Jack562

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Specs:

So I've been getting really annoying pc freezes when I'm playing games on my pc. I've used DU to delete all the old nvidia drivers and only installed the essential ones again but that didn't fix it. I've also ran memtest86 but that didn't give an error. I also installed a fresh version of Windows 10 again. Some more info about my pc: I got my PC pre-built with the CPU and 8 GB RAM about 3,5 years ago. I added some extra RAM and a GTX 760. The 760 died a few months ago and I replaced it with the 1070.

PSU: XFX 550W

Windows 10

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770

12 GB RAM

Motherboard: Intel B75

My CPU max temps are 65 - 70C on Rainbow Six Siege. My GPU max temps are 55 - 60C on Siege

I looked at the Event Viewer and the Event ID was 6008. Here are the Details:

Could anyone have a possible solution?

Log Name: System Source: EventLog Date: 12/27/2017 10:26:15 PM Event ID: 6008 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-JQD5P8I Description: The previous system shutdown at 22:02:30 on ‎27-‎12-‎2017 was unexpected. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="EventLog" /> <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-12-27T21:26:15.452700200Z" /> <EventRecordID>3016</EventRecordID> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>DESKTOP-JQD5P8I</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>22:02:30</Data> <Data>‎27-‎12-‎2017</Data> <Data> </Data> <Data> </Data> <Data>34</Data> <Data> </Data> <Data> </Data> <Binary>E1070C0003001B00160002001E00EC00E1070C0003001B00150002001E00EC003C0000003C000000010000003C00000000000000B00400000100000000000000</Binary> </EventData> </Event>

EDIT 1: WhySoSlow just said: "The highest measured SM BIOS interrupt or other stall was 136 microseconds. This is considered poor behavior. Your system may have difficulty handling multimedia in real-time and may be subject to unexpected stutters and unresponsive behavior.". What can I do about this?

Edited by Jack562, 31 December 2017 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:19 AM

Do you have a link for this WhySoSlow program?  I've never heard of it.

Beyond that, please wait until the system freezes again, then recover from the freeze and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilies: 
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Hey,

Thank you for trying to help me out, I appreciate it!

Here's a link of WhySoSlow: http://www.resplendence.com/whysoslow

I've added the two files that you asked for below.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

Sorry for the delay, lot's of stuff happening here - family, weather, work, etc

Thanks for the link for WhySoSlow.  It's an interesting program, but I'll have to look at it some more to see actually what it's measuring.

The Admin logfile doesn't show any consistent events that seem related to the freezes.
Most often this is a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver issue.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

BUT, the system does show that you had a STOP 0x7F bugcheck (BSOD event) on January 2nd (related to the latest freeze?)

Do you recall what happened then?
The Admin log says that a crash dump was saved as C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp, yet there is no such file listed in the reports that you submitted.
Are you using a disk cleaning tool (such as CCleaner)?  If so, please stop using it while we're troubleshooting.

Since the dump wasn't saved for us, I'll ask you to run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

As the dump wasn't saved, please keep an eye out for the BSOD and see if you can identify the driver name on the screen (it'll end in .sys or may be ntoskrnl.exe) (sometimes the name won't show).

Have you recently reinstalled Windows (around 31 Dec)?  If so, please briefly describe what you did to reinstall it.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P11-A0) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I will check out the hardware diagnostics tools once I'm positive that's it's hardware related (If this is a good idea?).

I will now run Driver Verifier while I'm gaming and I'll wait until it freezes.

The freeze around January 2nd was just like a normal freeze, so the mouse & keyboard were unresponsive, my screen was just 1 frame and a werid buzzing/robotic sound went trough my headphones.

I already searched around on google why my minidumps wouldn't save but I couldn't find anything, I unchecked the option in CCleaner that deletes these dumpfles but I just uninstalled CCleaner just to be safe. I have never seen a blue screen though, only freezes. Should I wait a few minutes to let the blue screen appear or something like that?

Also, should I set the setting of the dump files to Full Memory Dump or somehting else? (In Advanced Settings > Startup And Recovery)

I reinstalled windows through Recovery Options > Reset This PC > Delete All files.

I do have a new BIOS version:

Intel(https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22943/BIOS-Update-ENB7510H-86A-?product=70405)

Acer:(https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4240?b=1)

Intel is 'OS Independent' and Acer is only supported until WIndows 8, should I go for Intel? And if for Intel, should I install the WinPE.exe version?

I have checked Windows Update manually but it's up-to date and I've deleted MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner, I don't overclock so I'll leave it like it is now.

Edited by Jack562, 05 January 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

In general, I don't troubleshoot dump creation.  In most cases it's fixed when we fix the BSOD problem.

FWIW - here's a draft of mine on how memory dumps are created:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html

In short, there's a chance that Driver Verifier will reveal something.
As the dumps aren't being captured, it's best to keep an eye on the system to see if the driver name is mentioned at the bottom of the BSOD.

It's usually a driver that ends in .sys - or it's ntoskrnl.exe (but it may not even show a driver on the BSOD).

Then, after running Driver Verifier, run the hardware diagnostics.

They'll help to tell us which way we should focus our efforts.

The installation was, essentially, a clean install.  As such, there's a good possibility that this could be a hardware issue.

I can't tell you about the Intel vs Acer BIOS - you'll have to ask Acer.
I suspect that their answer will be that you should only use the Acer BIOS

I have to wonder tho' - if they only support to W8, is your system compatible w/W10?  What will happen if you install the W8 BIOS on your W10 system?

Edited by usasma, 05 January 2018 - 04:01 PM.

#7 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hey,

When I ran Driver Verifier, and launched a game, the screen went black and I restarted. Then I wanted to write a comment about what happened and I got BSOD while I was writing.

The blue screen said this:

Stop code:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

What failed: nvlddmkm.sys

I do have a MEMORY.DMP file now.

And I will contact Acer, because you've got a point.

I do not know if you need it, but I'll run the file and upload the event viewer errors again.

Attached Files

Edited by Jack562, 05 January 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

You found the driver - nvlddmkm.sys

This is an nVidia video driver (another problem area in older systems)

Older systems used switching software to switch between on-board (usually Intel) and discrete (usually nVidia or AMD) graphics.

In doing so, they had to customize the drivers - so using generic Intel/nVidia/AMD drivers generally didn't work on them.

Later systems are able to use the generic drivers without problem.

I'd try a clean install of your video drivers.

As it's an older system, use the drivers supplied by Acer:

Please uninstall your video drivers and all the nVidia/AMD/Intel VIDEO (not chipset) software from your system (Settings...Apps - or appwiz.cpl)
Then use this free tool to remove any traces of the drivers:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then download and install the Intel and nVidia video drivers from the Acer website
Test to see if this helps and post back with the results.

NOTE:  The link you provided for your BIOS also has video drivers - but they are from AMD, not nVidia.
ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT PAGE FOR YOUR SYSTEM - a bad BIOS flash can physically damage your system (make it not work - ever).

#9 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I can only download 1 AMD driver and a few BIOS driver from the Acer website though.

Should I install from nVidia's and Intel's website? And when I'm installing, should I install all parts of the nVidia driver or only the essential driver and PhysX?

And I'm positive it's the right one, I also filled in the SNID code and got the same page. But I will definitely contact Acer soon.

EDIT 1: I installed the nVidia driver, however, when I'm installing the Intel driver it says: 'This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.' I think you get this error if you already have nVidia drivers installed.

EDIT 2: Uninstalled the nvidia drivers but it still says that it uses the Microsoft Basic display adapter.

Edited by Jack562, 05 January 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

I think that Acer has the wrong page for your system - I'd suggest contacting them and asking how to install the AMD drivers on a system that clearly has an nVidia card.

You have nVidia drivers - which means you should have an nVidia video card - NOT an AMD

The MSINFO32 and DxDiag reports show an nVidia video card - NOT an AMD

You can try the Intel and nVidia drivers if you like.
While they won't physically damage your system, they may interfere with the video operation.  I can't advise that because of this.

The Basic Display adapter is a Microsoft driver that's installed so you can see video.  Without a video driver, you won't be able to see anything on the screen.

I'm late for work right now.  If you'd like more details, post back.My next suggestion will likely be for a clean install of Windows - or to post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more advanced hardware assistance: 

#11 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

I don't know if WhoCrashed is accurate but it says this: "nt_wrong_symbols.sys DRIVER_PAGE_FAULT_IN_FREED_SPECIAL_POOL"

I also uploaded the full report down below.

P.S: I'm in contact with Acer the last few days about from who I should update the BIOS from. I also contacted Intel and they said that I should strictly only install updates from Acer only. So that's what I will do, once Acer has confirmed that I can safely install the (old) update from them.

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

WhoCrashed is a decent tool like BlueScreenView from NirSoft - but it does have it's limiatations.

In this case, the wrong symbols mean that (for some reason), the program wasn't able to get the proper symbols from the Microsoft symbol server.

It's not a big deal in this case tho' - as it blames nt (ntoskrnl.exe - the kernel (core) of the operating system).

If the kernel was to blame, you'd see many more problems with the OS other than just the occasional BSOD:

ntoskrnl.exe (also seen as ntkrnlpa.exe, ntkrnlmp.exe, or ntkrpamp.exe) is the kernel (core) of the Windows operating system.  It is protected by security features and the Windows System File Checker.  As such, if ntoskrnl.exe was to blame, you'd be experiencing many more problems other than the occasional BSOD.

In most cases ntoskrnl.exe was blamed because a driver (typically a 3rd party driver) has corrupted the memory space that ntoskrnl.exe considers as it's own.  When this happens, ntoskrnl.exe typically finds unknown data (from the 3rd party driver) in it's memory space.  At this point the OS panics and throws a BSOD to prevent damage to the system.

If the culprit (the offending 3rd party driver) hasn't exited yet, then a BSOD analyst may be able to find traces of it in the reports/dumps.  If the culprit has exited, then the chase is on and further tests/reports will be needed to help identify what actually caused it.

More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntoskrnl.exe

It wouild be beneficial if you zipped up and uploaded the memory dumps that you used for WhoCrashed.
That way we could see a bit more of what's going on inside the OS when the system BSOD's.

Also, you may want to try running Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

#13 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

Update: I updated my BIOS, it gave two short beeps when the pc restarted, I have AMI BIOS and the two beeps could indicate faulty RAM, but I only got the beeps once I did the update, not when I start it now.

I downgraded to Windows 8.1, but it still freezes. I'm pretty sure that it's a hardware issue.

I will run your hardware diagnostics now.

Edits: I still have a lot of windows updates for my system, when they're done and it still fails, then I'll run the diagnostics

Edited by Jack562, 14 January 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#14 Jack562

Jack562
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

NEW UPDATE: I updated Windows 8.1 all the way, but now it only crashed the game, and not the whole pc. The event viewer blamed nvlddm just like the BSOD. I'll post the post event viewer and sysnative now.

I have the newest NVIDIA driver so I don't know what's the problem is.

Attached Files

Edited by Jack562, 14 January 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

This is most likely a video problem.

Start by doing a clean install of the video drivers:

Please uninstall your video drivers and all the nVidia/AMD/Intel VIDEO (not chipset) software from your system (Settings...Apps - or appwiz.cpl)
- If uninstalling the AMD video drivers, you may also want to run the AMD Clean Uninstall utility (free from here:  http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx )
Then use this free tool to remove any traces of the drivers:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then reboot and check Windows Update (allow it to install video drivers):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15054/windows-7-automatically-get-recommended-drivers-updates-hardware

Test to see if this helps and post back with the results.

Then, if that works and you need the nVidia drivers - feel free to download and install the latest, W10 compatible video drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Then, if that works and you need the AMD drivers - feel free to download and install the latest, W10 compatible video drivers from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Then, if that works and you need the Intel drivers - feel free to download and install the latest, W10 compatible video drivers from http://downloadcenter.intel.com (you can also usually download these drivers from the manufacturer's website)

Then, if the problems still happen, try a clean install to rule out hardware problems:

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users