Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dippster

Dippster

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

I downloaded Sophos Anti Virus and now want to UNinstall it.  I just can't get rid of it and I already have a paid antivirus program, Webroot.

Everytime I try it says Shut Down and it will uninstall.  But it doesn't.

What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

See if the instructions on this link will help https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/122709

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove than most applications.

The correct way to remove most Anti-virus programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel as explained in the link provided by SleepyDude.

Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes in Task Manager) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users