Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back to Windows 7, Sound not working.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matthklei

matthklei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:31 PM

Yesterday, I installed Windows 7 to replace windows 10. Everything worked fine, installed properly, got the key and everything all good. However, all my drivers disappeared for almost every component of my computer. I went to the Dell drivers page and was able to fix my network (had to use a flash drive from a different computer), graphics, USB's, and stuff like that, but when I installed the audio driver, still no sound will come out. The driver is installed properly and windows sees the Realtek HD Audio thing and says "The device is working properly." But even after a few restarts and re-installations, no sound will come out of this laptop. Any solutions?

Dell XPS L502X

Intel Core i7

6GB RAM

64 Bit

Before reinstalling windows, the sound was fine.

I've attached some screenshots that may possibly be helpful.

Attached Files

Edited by matthklei, 31 December 2017 - 12:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:29 AM

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-l502x/drivers

Louis

#3 matthklei

matthklei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Thank for replying, Louis.

That is precise page I downloaded my drivers from before posting on this forum. There is only one audio driver listed, and it seems to install properly, because the interactive software that comes with it works as usual (I just can't hear anything from any output including headphones). Would a possible solution just be to try installing windows again? Maybe from a different .iso file?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

The Dell page shows the Realtek ALC665 chipset dated 2013. I would uninstall in Device Manager or Control Panel and install the updated one on Realtek's site.

Download the Readme file also. I have found that sometimes Dell has wonky drivers on their site.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file) R2.82 2017/7/26 264424k Global

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 December 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#5 matthklei

matthklei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

The Dell page shows the Realtek ALC665 chipset dated 2013. I would uninstall in Device Manager or Control Panel and install the updated one on Realtek's site.

Download the Readme file also. I have found that sometimes Dell has wonky drivers on their site.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file) R2.82 2017/7/26 264424k Global

Thank you so much! Upon restarting my computer after installing this, I was delighted to hear the beautiful startup sound effect of windows! You have saved me another several hours on new year's eve.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Your Welcome, glad to have helped. Another example of OEM driver's not always being the best place to download. Seems to happen a lot with Dell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users