Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

i have a custom build running windows 7 which i built and installed windows 7 pro from an ISO.....everything is fine and it runs great for about 6 months now,

thinking about upgrading this computer to 10 before time runs out using this link.....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA

my questions after the upgrade is complete are........

if i want to go back to windows 7 in the future can i wipe the drive and re-install windows 7 from an ISO again.....will my windows 7 code still work?.....or is that code cancelled after i upgrade to 10?

after i upgrade to 10....am i issued a windows 10 product code?....or can i find this out using something like Speccy?......i realize windows 10 will be activated after the upgrade, but what if i want to wipe my drive in the future and re-install windows 10 from an ISO in the future, will windows 10 activate again automatically?.....or will i need a product key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

if i want to go back to windows 7 in the future can i wipe the drive and re-install windows 7 from an ISO again.....will my windows 7 code still work?.....or is that code cancelled after i upgrade to 10?

Yes, I imaged my Windows 7 install on a laptop, upgraded to 10, then reverted back to 7 using the image. Windows 7 remained activated.

fter i upgrade to 10....am i issued a windows 10 product code?....or can i find this out using something like Speccy?......i realize windows 10 will be activated after the upgrade, but what if i want to wipe my drive in the future and re-install windows 10 from an ISO in the future, will windows 10 activate again automatically?.....or will i need a product key?

When you upgrade Microsoft store the digital entitlement on their servers tied to the hardware ID of the computer. When you reinstall it will auto activate as long as you do not make major hardware changes.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:36 PM

thanks,

i don't want windows 7 still on the drive after i upgrade,

so my plan is to do the upgrade to 10, but at some point in the future i want to wipe the drive and re-install 10 from an ISO/bootable media

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

The licensing for Windows 10 when an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 is done is that you have a legal license for Windows 10 on that machine or whichever version of Windows you upgraded from on that machine, but not both at the same time when the Windows 10 license is the result of an upgrade.  [But keep your license key for the earlier version of Windows in your records somewhere.  If you don't know it then snag it with Belarc Advisor or similar.]

Were you to wish to have both at once (dual boot) you would either need to buy a license for the earlier version of Windows and install it alongside Windows 10 [which is running under your upgrade license], or get a license for Windows 10 [brand new license] and install it alongside the earlier version of Windows.

You can perpetually wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 10, without even knowing the license key, on any machine on which Windows 10 was previously installed and legally activated.  That's the beauty of this information being kept on Microsoft's servers and queried during the install itself.  Were you not to have internet connectivity I believe the install will proceed, but there is a limited time that Windows 10 will continue to run unless it can "phone home" to determine it is legally licensed for that particular hardware.

If you start out with the Pro (or higher) version of the earlier Windows you will automatically get Pro when you upgrade.  The digital entitlement records this fact as well, so subsequent wipes and reinstalls on Win10 will get you Win10 Pro.

Edited by britechguy, 30 December 2017 - 08:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

The licensing for Windows 10 when an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 is done is that you have a legal license for Windows 10 on that machine or whichever version of Windows you upgraded from on that machine, but not both at the same time when the Windows 10 license is the result of an upgrade.  [But keep your license key for the earlier version of Windows in your records somewhere.  If you don't know it then snag it with Belarc Advisor or similar.]

Were you to wish to have both at once (dual boot) you would either need to buy a license for the earlier version of Windows and install it alongside Windows 10 [which is running under your upgrade license], or get a license for Windows 10 [brand new license] and install it alongside the earlier version of Windows.

You can perpetually wipe the drive and reinstall Windows 10, without even knowing the license key, on any machine on which Windows 10 was previously installed and legally activated.  That's the beauty of this information being kept on Microsoft's servers and queried during the install itself.  Were you not to have internet connectivity I believe the install will proceed, but there is a limited time that Windows 10 will continue to run unless it can "phone home" to determine it is legally licensed for that particular hardware.

If you start out with the Pro (or higher) version of the earlier Windows you will automatically get Pro when you upgrade.  The digital entitlement records this fact as well, so subsequent wipes and reinstalls on Win10 will get you Win10 Pro.

thanks...i think thats everything i wanted to know......

i do not want both windows 7 and 10 running at the same time....only one or the other, i just wanted to know if i have the option to load either in the future, and i believe the answer is yes from your explanation.....thanks....and i do have windows 7 PRO version......im going to upgrade today after i do a backup, just incase

Edited by mikey11, 31 December 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you upgrade to Windows 10 you will only have Windows 10 running.  Even if you dual boot you can only run one operating system at a time.

At this time (7:35 am PST) you have about sixteen hours where you can use the Windows Assistive Technologies upgrade.  This free upgrade ends at midnight tonight.  You can find the download here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

If you upgrade to Windows 10 you will only have Windows 10 running.  Even if you dual boot you can only run one operating system at a time.

At this time (7:35 am PST) you have about sixteen hours where you can use the Windows Assistive Technologies upgrade.  This free upgrade ends at midnight tonight.  You can find the download here.

thanks....and yes i realize the free upgrade ends.....thats why im doing it today :thumbup2:

Edited by mikey11, 31 December 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

one more question.....

im using the assistant on that website to do the initial upgrade.....but in the future if i want to wipe my drive and install windows 10 fresh, where can i find a windows 10 pro iso to download??

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

i realize that....i have created bootable media many times using Rufus.....but where can i download the ISO file?.....i didn't think microsoft let you download it without a retail product code or something?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

The website for the Media Creation Tool has the download.  You will need to select the version to match what you have installed.  You need to go to this website and read through the download and installation instructions.

Microsoft isn't concerned about the ISO being downloaded.  Without the product code the operating system will not activate which after thirty days will become a mere shell of what it starts out with.

#12 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

i am getting an error 0x8007007e during the upgrade?

i will post pics in a few mins.....very frusterated

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

any advice?......

i have looked up the error code and tried a few things....nothing has worked

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   317.18KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   383.97KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   330.79KB   0 downloads

#14 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

well after trying about 10 different things that i googled......i found a solution in the following video and it worked........

i am a computer tech for a living.....if it took me an hour or 2 to figure this out, how long would it take an "average joe?" to figure it out?

this really isn't acceptable as far as i am concerned, and things like this just don't look good for microsoft....i hate to say things like that because i am a windows advocate and supporter

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

The error you encountered has only cropped up quite recently, and I really have no idea what has changed to make this the case.  I just posted about this on a thread in this very forum, unless I'm mistaken, but I'm sure it's on the BC website.  One of the individuals very well versed in all things Win10 on a group for screen reader users of Win10 gave a detailed explanation regarding this particular error a few days ago and I posted a link to said explanation.

I agree that Microsoft needs to do whatever needs to be done to make this cease to occur.  Given what the workaround is it should be a simple matter to make the installer do the checks and replacement if such is necessary to make the install succeed.

Edited by britechguy, 31 December 2017 - 04:37 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users