Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD won't take OS; it had an OS just ten minutes ago

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

I got a replacement PSU because of the problems I was experiencing in this thread.

So I shut the computer down and install the new PSU. I then turn the computer back on, and it says that no OS is found.

BULLbleep! I just had an OS installed on the computer TEN MINUTES AGO!

Arrrrgh! Ok, I insert my OS install disk and fire it up again. I go to format the hard drive, deleting every file in it, since I know that's something I have to do.

So when I format the hard drive, Windows won't let me install the OS to that disk! I get this message:

"Windwos cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition trable. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

HOW?! I just had Windows installed to that disk LITERALLY TEN MINUTES AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every google search I can find says that I simply need to "format" the disk first. I've already done that!

What have I done?! All I want is a working computer! Is that too much to ask?!?!?!?!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

Boot the Windows install disk. At the screen where you see language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart                Opens the diskpart command window

list disk

select disk X        Where X is the disk number you will be installing Windows to.

clean                     Deletes all existing partitions. If you have one hard drive it will be 0. Make sure you selected the correct disk in the previous command

convert gpt           Initializes the disk as gpt in order to boot from a UEFI computer. MBR cannot boot from a UEFI enabled computer

exit                        Exits out of diskpart

exit                        Exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install.When you get to the Window showing the disk click next and Windows will automatically partition and format the drive.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:37 AM

Re check your cable connections, did you get all the plugs back where they belong?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users