Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Breaking Google Search Out of Google Apps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hi. I've got a Galaxy J7 and I want to create an icon, solely for Google Search, and slide it over to my home screen. The search bar at the top of my phone always asks if I want to search using Google Search or the Play Store. I find this annoying. I always want to use Google Search. I need to create an icon on my home screen so it will know I want to use Google Search without asking first. 

Problem: Google Search is already installed but it's located in a Google Apps cluster. I can remove it from the cluster, but I can't slide it to my home screen. It won't leave the apps screen. How can I accomplish the move? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

The only reason I know of that you would not be able to move any app on to a given one of the "home screens" that you can flip through is if there is not enough space.  If one is using widgets they often take up a few more app slots on the screen than they might appear to, particularly if they're round like a clock face.

I just pulled Google search out of the Google folder and in to a blank slot on my home screen on a Galaxy S7 without the slightest of difficulty.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Finally got it. I was pressing, holding and dragging all at the same time, which created an icon outside of the cluster but it could not be slid from the app screen. It finally dawned on me to press, hold, and then choose the remove file option. That allowed me to drag an icon to my home screen. Thanks for your patience. Problem solved. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users