Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can M.2 SSD be installed into Laptop Wifi 1x1" Pci-e Minicard Slots?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

I'm working on two laptops, and the Wifi card in one is a 1x1" and the other is a 2x1."  

Can anyone tell me about installing an M.2 card in there if that is even possible, and if it is not possible, why not? 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Its not possible, the form factor is different.

If you must install a SSD use a standard laptop sized one.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Vectron

Vectron

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Be careful what things you plug in there. The M.2 cards cannot be installed into mPCIe slots because they are physically different. However technically it is possible to install an appropriate card into the slot, so long as the card fits and speaks the same protocol as the slot. The slot is basically just that - a slot. But the protocol may not always be the one you expect. For example the slots used for mPCIe can also be used for mSATA. I have a router board by the name of "PC Engines APU2", and it comes with three identical slots - two of them are mPCIe and the third is mSATA. If you have a mPCIe slot then technically you could use a mPCIe SSD that fits into the slot. But be careful that you actually get the mPCIe SSD (if any models exist), not the mSATA SSD, as the majority of the disks are of the latter type.

I'm not sure, if any WiFi cards use the M.2 slot as I've only ever used the mPCIe models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_Mini_Card
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSATA#Mini-SATA_(mSATA)

Edited by Vectron, 30 December 2017 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users