Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not download anything using Edge from a clean Win10 setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wzfoto

wzfoto

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

I am setting up a new laptop with a clean windows 10 installed.  I open MS edge to download a few files and I get download error every time. When I check the download folder, the download file sizes are all 0 bytes.  So I download the chrome setup exe from another computer, copy it over and had chrome installed.  I have no problem downloading anything using chrome so far.  I am curious what would have cause download on edge to fail?  Is this a setting or configuration?  Or edge is broken?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

Windows Defender SmartScreen helps to protect you from visiting sites previously reported as phishing or malware websites, or if you tried to download potentially malicious files.  Your issue could be cause by Windows Defender SmartScreen you can turn off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.  Launch Microsoft Edge and click Settings, View advanced settings, and toggle Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads with Windows Defender SmartScreen to Off.

In Windows 10 Creators Update and above, go to Windows Defender Security Center, click App & Browser control, and select Off for SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.

Posted Image

#3 wzfoto

wzfoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried your suggestion to change two settings, but unfortunately it didn't help.  I tried download chrome, firefox and a random test file from the internet using edge, all result in failure. Any other suggestions?  It is not urgent but I m curious on why.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

Personally, I think Edge is not ready for primetime

Yours is a know issue with Edge.

The only thing I saw close to a solution in addition to Freebooter's advice is here posted by cork1958

When you go into the options of Edge what  is shown for the Download location? Does changing the location help?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 December 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

You have options to repair, reset and reinstall Microsoft Edge.

Follow below instructions to repair Microsoft Edge In Windows 10.

The ability to repair Microsoft Edge browser is available in Fall Creators Update for Windows 10. The same feature doesnt exist in Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703).

Here is how to repair Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

Step 1: Open the Settings app. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features.

Step 2: Look for Microsoft Edge entry and click on the same. You should now see Advanced options link. Click on the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.

Step 3: Click the Repair button. The Repair option repairs Microsoft Edge browser without removing your data.

cU85bsd.png

If repairing Microsoft Edge does not resolve the issue follow below instructions to reset Microsoft Edge.

The ability to reset Microsoft Edge browser is available in Fall Creators Update for Windows 10. The same feature doesnt exist in Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703).

Resetting Microsoft Edge browser will delete your browser history, cookies, and settings. Edge favorites (bookmarks) will not be removed.

Here is how to reset Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

Step 1: Open the Settings app. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features.

Step 2: Look for Microsoft Edge entry and click on the same. You should now see Advanced options link. Click on the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.

Step 3:  Here, click the Reset button and then click the Reset button again when you see the confirmation flyout to reset Microsoft Edge.

cU85bsd.png

In a few seconds, a check sign will appear next to the Reset button indicating that the reset is complete.

If you are having problems with Microsoft Edge, you might be able to fix all the issues by reinstalling the browser.

Please note that you might lose all favorites as well as your browsing history. Its a good idea to backup or export Microsoft Edge browser favorites before reinstalling Microsoft Edge.

Step 1: Open Edge browser. Click the Hub icon (...) and then click Settings to open Settings pane.

Step 2: Under Import favorites and other info section, there is a button called Import from another browser. Click that Import from another browser button.

nO2vAzH.png

Step 3: Under Import or export a file section, click the Export to file button to open Save as dialog. If the Export to a file button is missing, its because you have not installed Windows 10 Creators Update.

TnQcr9A.png

Step 4: Enter a name for the HTML file containing favorites and select a location to save the file before clicking the Save button. By default, the Edge browser saves the HTML file with Microsoft_Edge_Favortes_date name in the Documents folder.

Reinstalling Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Step 1: Close Microsoft Edge browser, if its running.

Step 2: Open up File Explorer, click View and then check Hidden items box to view all hidden folders. This is required as some folders like AppData are hidden by default.

TCESqSk.png

Step 3: Navigate to the following location:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages

Replace UserName with your user name.

Step 4: Delete the folder named Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe. If it refuses to delete some files, click Skip.

Step 5: Restart your computer.

Step 6: Launch PowerShell as administrator. This can be done by typing PowerShell in Start menu or taskbar search box, right-clicking on PowerShell entry and then clicking Run as administrator option.

Step 7: Once PowerShell is launched, navigate to your user accounts directory by executing the following command.

cd C:\users\yourusername
Replace yourusername with your actual user name of your account.

Step 8: Copy and paste the following command into Powershell and then press Enter key.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml -Verbose}
Thats it! Restart your computer once again. You should now be able to launch and use the Edge browser without any issues.

Edited by FreeBooter, 30 December 2017 - 11:26 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users