Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Les2427

Les2427

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hello to you all.

Wonder if anyone can help. 

Every so often, say every other day, my computer will randomly restart. I have no idea!

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Les

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

Ok. I did what you asked and there is nothing to show whatsoever!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

Okay, let's try this just to rule out blue screen errors causing the restart: Go to System Properties - Advanced Tab - Startup & Recovery Settings - Uncheck "automatically restart". If it IS a bluescreen error, next time instead of a reboot you'll get a blue screen. Please post the entire error message here.

If the system still reboots, please let us know exactly what you were doing at the time of the reboot.

#5 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Uncheck "automatically restart" was already unchecked. I have no issues with rebooting

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

In your first post you said your system restarts on its own. That's just another term for rebooting.

Since it was already unchecked, just let us know what your are doing at the time the system restarts.

#7 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Ok i will. Thank you

#8 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Hi and a Happy New Year to you.

Just had another unwanted reboot. At the time i was reading an online news outlet

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

Okay - desktop or laptop? Make and model please.

Let's do some basic troubleshooting:

1) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

2) Hard Drive Diagnostics:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 

Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.

If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurnhttp://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.

For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

3) If it's a desktop, when was the last time you opened it and cleaned out the dust? If never, unplug the system, open it up and carefully use compressed air to clean it out (be sure to blow out the dust in the fans too).

Let's see where we are after you've done the above.

#10 Doug D.

Doug D.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

I agree with Allan, but the dust issue can be a problem on most laptops also. Another laptop related question, Is the unit setting on a hard surface or on anything soft? If it is not on a hard surface, you might be seeing a heat related shutdown due to closed off air vents.

#11 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Hello Allan. Hello Doug.

The problem seems to have been resolved. I cleaned the inside of my tower before i got into the more complicated things you stated to try, complicated for me anyway! It has been two weeks plus since i did the cleaning and i have had no more random restarts, hence the late reply. 

Thank you very much, to the both of you for your input. Much appreciated.

Les

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Glad it's all sorted out. I'd suggest that moving forward you might want to make a habit of cleaning it out every 6 months or so.

#13 Les2427

Les2427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Yes, i will take that advice on board Allan.

Once again, thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users