Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does gmail blow up the emails?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:55 PM

Every once in a while I'll have an email discussion with someone blow up.  All of the emails are open, and they are in backwards order each in indenting a little off from the other one on their left margins, and they form a kind of systematic tree where they branch off of each other systematically.

I can't figure out how to put them back into order, and close them.  

After that the gmail thread is totally shot, so I have to begin in another one.  

It's done this for years. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

You need to post screen shots.   I have never seen Gmail "permanently unthread" a threaded discussion though you can change views.  The relationship is in the e-mail headers themselves and all the e-mail client (or web interface) does is use that information to create a threaded view/conversation view.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

How do I publish pics on this platform?

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

Would one of your Gmail emails with lots of continuous replies look like this?

gmailthread.png

To stop this, follow this guide from Gmail:

conversation_settings.jpg

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/5900?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

When you turn conversation view OFF you will find every email reply listed in your inbox. I have tested this in my Gmail settings and it works nicely.

Let us know is this will solve your situation!

#5 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Yes, what happens once in a while is exactly what's in the pic.  

I followed your directions, and this makes all emails like this.  I don't want them like that.  I want the ones that were made like this to go back to how they were. 

How do I do that?

I reversed the actions that I took by following your directions.  Thanks

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

I'm happy that the directions worked. I understand that you reverted the setting! I keep my conversation view "ON".....it saves lots of space in my inbox. When you have an email where you have lots of conversation replies, are your emails "clumped" together? The last email of the thread (the bottom one) I see this: 

[Message clipped]  View entire message

Do you see the same without the "tree" (threads) showing?

#7 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Ya, the same tree form it was in is still there.  All of the other emails are normal though.  

I'm just trying to figure out how to reverse the "tree" effect when it automatically happens again.  

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

When you sign into Gmail, click on your Inbox, then click on an email that has multiple replies (threads or strings) do you see this?

gmailview.jpg

#9 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yes, for most of them except for the problem ones that won't revert back to that form. 

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hi F-1DeskLamp,

I'm attempting to replicate what is taking place with your problem email(s) threads (strings) being expanded and not compressed (trimmed/clipped).

Best I have been able to do is to click on the one email I have that has 100 messages in the thread. When the email opens, I see the first email entry and that there are 97 older messages which are compressed (look at my picture above.) If I click on the bars of the 97 older messages, all of the treads expand (or as we have said the "tree" affect.) At that point, best I can do to escape the “tree” is to scroll back to the top of the email and *click the Inbox (in a grey shadow next to the subject name) this will return me to my inbox and when I reopen the same email the treads are collapsed.

There is one step that I encourage you to try next time that you reply to the email conversation thread, and that is to click the **reply arrow, next to the last message date, do not scroll all the way down to the bottom to click the ***reply box.

*Click Inbox:

here.png

**Click Reply:

dothis.png

***Do not click reply at bottom:

don_tdothis.png

Let’s see how you get on trying the above. The trouble you are having is the exact opposite from the massive amounts of Google posts I’ve found, most Gmail users are not happy that their messages of great length are clipped! If you are still in a pickle, then a post in Gmail help might serve best while another BC member might have a solution.

Good luck!

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Have you tried the Expand/Contract All Toggle?  (look to the far right of the partial screen shot):  

gmailexpcont.jpg 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

As we await the return of the OP, I tested your Expand all/Collapse all toggle (nice find, it is new to me!)

Using the "toggle" I tested an email where I had 5 conversations. Clicked on the email, the 1st and 4th email "preview" showed along with the contents of the last (5th) email. Clicking the toggle to expand worked showing the contents of all 5 conversations. The click collapse, didn't do the job. I had 4 "previews" and the last email showing, instead of the standard clipped/trimmed view. As I shared in my previous post #9, I had to click the Inbox button, return to the Inbox for the email to return to its normal state.

Returning to the email with 100 conversation threads, using the expand toggle did not expand the entire 97 messages in the thread, the collapse was not a success.

Edited by softeyes, 30 December 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

My suspicion is that there is never any intention of expanding or collapsing each and every item, with full view, in a really extended thread.   It just doesn't make sense from a "screen real estate" point of view.

On the very rare occasion (and it is rare, I just don't do "eternal single threads") where I have a long thread I generally know what it is I'm looking for both in terms of the sender and some small part of the actual content I'm interested in and I use search to find it.  Otherwise I open threads in "chunks" by expanding via the "XX older messages" (sometimes sequentially, as if the number is very high it only opens part of those).

It is not uncommon for even e-mail client programs to give you a "beginning - middle - end" snapshot of content in a very long exchange.  In my case, where that's allowed within the thread, it's an "end - middle - beginning" as I always prefer to have the most recent messages presented as the first ones I see.

~ Mark Twain

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

And here is an interesting observation from an article entitled, Two dying memoirists wrote bestsellers about their final days. Then their spouses fell in love., published in the Washington Post on January 3, 2018, and unrelated to things technological:

“We learned that when a gmail thread reaches 100, it rolls you into another thread.”

~ Mark Twain

#15 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

Awe, the story you have found is so heartfelt,a nice share to lead us to know if 100 Gmail emails roll over into a new Inbox entry!

Testing the Gmail email thread containing 100 threads with the subject line: New Thread

*Email thread started 8/26/2016, last entry had been on 9/30/2017. 

*Today I opened the email with 100 threads and forwarded the email to test what would happen with a return reply.

*When the returned email reply was received (today to make 101 emails) there was a “new entry” in the Inbox showing (29) emails in the thread with the subject (Re: New Thread) starting with 6/07/2017, containing 28 older emails ending 8/4/2017 (plus the reply of today.)

**However, when clicking the Expand toggle, this new “rollover” Inbox entry, expanded to show all (100) emails! Now there are two Inbox entries with the same email threads 1) Subject: New Thread and 2) Subject: Re: New Thread. Both containing 100 emails.

I don’t understand the logic of Gmail with this rollover, or email split, when nothing is gained except confusion for the user.

My story is not ready to publish as the chapters continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users