Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IXpand Flash Drive Lightning connector to 3.0 USB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TomCat1204

TomCat1204

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Im able to download my photos from my iPhone to the SanDisk flash drive but...

The 3.0 USB wont fit into any of my Samsung TV (probably? 2.0) USB receptacle

Samsung model #UN55D7000LFXZA

Edited by TomCat1204, 29 December 2017 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

If you mean it will not physically insert into the socket, there's something odd going on, USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2. If you are saying doesn't work, then it's not unusual for USB3 devices to not work in that situation, USB2 can only supply half the power of USB3.

Either way, it may be that the only solution is to get the contents of the iXpand copied off onto a USB2 flash drive.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TomCat1204

TomCat1204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:32 AM

Thank you for your input. I do mean it will not mechanically insert into the socket.
Im able to insert a different cable into all the tv sockets.
Im able to insert the SanDisk device into other AC to USB adapters, and into my windows computer USB socket.
I was able to get the SD dongle into the TV socket once. Removed it to load more pics and can not repeat.
Your copying onto another device is logical and a good idea I hadnt thought of. Thank you. I was also thinking of using an extender type device. (A female USB to male USB). Any other ideas? Is there an acceptable conductive lubricant for electronics? Ive never heard of one and am scared to death to try. Now Ill cry, Help, please!? I also Thank you for the help and ideas thus far.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:18 AM

Well, if just by chance the TV casing and the USB sockets are poorly aligned, and the iXpand presumably being reasonably new is less "sloppy" than another USB plug, that could explain it.

You could try a short USB extension cable, and you can use a silicone lubricant safely with electronics.

#5 TomCat1204

TomCat1204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:27 AM

Thank you. I bet some minor lube will help. Ill look for both some Si lube thats suitable for electronics, and also some sort of adapter that may fit better into the TVs USB receptacles. I like the idea of a cabled adaptor because that would provide more flexibility as there isnt much room to work with between the centerline of the USB socket and the base of the TV. Add to that the thickness of the SD dongle and its pretty tight.
Mr. or Ms. Platypus, I thank you very much and will report back which solution worked best. Well done. Much appreciated!

#6 TomCat1204

TomCat1204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:51 AM

All done. The answer was so very simple Im embarrassed to have posted this issue in the first place. Oh well, perhaps some other poor sap wont have to endure the embarrassment in the future.
All it took was a USB extender. I bought one but while in line I received a call from an overseas cousin. While on that call my son was attempting to get in touch with me. I ignored his call, bought the part, got home and found the same part in my sons hand. He had found the exact part being used to increase the length of our web cam USB cable. He had been calling me to not buy the new one.
Ill get my $20.00 back tomorrow.

Below is NOT a pic of the simple fix. Im either too tired or jinxed, or well you know, too something...
It is a male USB to a length of wire, to a female USB. Plug the male into the tv, was a bit tight but in it went. Plug the Thumb Drive device into the female end and were viewing the 1000s of pics of my beautiful first grandchild.
Again I heartily thank Platypus. Happy New Year, Cheers!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Good result, and a Happy New Year to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users