Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio charger DC plug gets very hot; using a replacement Lenoge battery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 laiskvorst

laiskvorst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I'll start from the beginning. I have a Sony Vaio Fit E SVF15 laptop, which is now 4 years old, running Windows 10. Some months ago the original battery abruptly died on me, so in June I purchased a replacement battery from Lenoge (Amazon link to the model). My charger is still original, though.

I was a little worried about getting a cheap replacement, but I really needed one and that's what I could afford at the time. It worked fine for a few months.

But in the past few weeks I noticed that once it charges to 100%, my screen starts flashing (the laptop rapidly switches between battery and AC/DC power) and there is a suspicious "shhhh" noise coming from the power supply jack. When I unplug the charger, the tip is very hot - painful to the touch.

At first it happened only at 100% (although for some reason not every single time), but it gradually got worse, and tonight it could only charge for a few minutes before the plug overheated. My battery doesn't seem to get hot to the touch while that happens.

In short, I am not sure if this is an adapter problem, a battery problem or something else. I would appreciate any help or advice. (I also hope that I didn't get any terminology wrong.)

As I can't charge it anyway, I removed the battery for the time being and am currently using the laptop without it. The adapter plug seems fine for now, but I will have to use it for a bit longer to see if it still heats up. If it doesn't, does that indicate a battery issue? What can be done?

Edited by laiskvorst, 29 December 2017 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lexaf

lexaf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

If you really wan't to git rid of the battery issues, buy an official battery from sony.

#3 laiskvorst

laiskvorst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

I'll consider it, if this one really is no good. I want to figure out if it's usable or not.
Money problems are an unfortunate reality... Also, I'm not sure how long my laptop can last anyway, so that's another reason I was a bit stingy.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

If you look on the brick (the power adapter module) you will find the the specifications for the output.  It would be something similar to 19.5V @ 4.7A, this means that the secondary output of the power adapter is 19.5 Volts DC with a amperage of 4.7 Amps.  Your battery needs to have the exact same specifications.  Does your battery match the output specifications?

The voltage can vary by a couple of volts, but the amperage figure needs to be at least the same as the specification shown on the power adapter. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

dc3, Altex Electronics of Austin recommended the voltage be "spec" (same as the manufacturer's original), and as you said it best -- the amp must match the "spec" (same as the manufacturer's original).  He kind of indicated that a higher or a lower voltage could become mildly problematic.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 December 2017 - 12:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 laiskvorst

laiskvorst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for your comments. I have made 3 discoveries about the situation:

1. It took longer, but just now the plug overheated again and my laptop shut off - that's without the battery. So it's probably not just the battery that is at fault.

2. Voltage/amperage outputs I could find.

Adapter module says: 19.5V - 3.3A
Battery says: 14.8V - 2600mAh (but that's not the same as amperage, is it?)

It's supposed to be compatible with the original battery, VGP-BPS35A. Looking it up online, the original one also has 14.8V voltage.

3. I noticed something about my laptop when removing the battery. For some reason, there is a missing screw right next to the power jack. My laptop was fixed a couple of years ago, and that is the last time it could have been disassembled. Maybe it could be related? I'll try to get that fixed soon.

Edited by laiskvorst, 30 December 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

It has been a while; but, I saw hundreds of laptops where the DC jack inside the laptop was of a defective design and, slowly, over time, had become a resistive connection which is the same as a heating element (as in a room heater).  The most common scenario was that the pin in the center of the jack was connected to the piece soldered into the system board exactly like a rivet and that connection had not stood the test of time.  In most cases, disassembling the laptop (can be a pain; but, not so bad on most Sony's) and then soldering the pin to the tab completely solved the problem.

Check:  With the laptop turned off (!!!), use a toothpick or other pointy tool to see if the pin in the jack is loose (wiggles).  If it does, you have found your problem.

If the pin seems snug:  Blow any dust or dirt out of both the jack and the connector on the ac adapter.  Then, plug in the ac adapter and spin its plug in the jack which will clean the contacts on both sides and may solve the problem.

The battery has nothing to do with your issue; but, I can almost always find the original battery for 30-40 cents on the dollar by searching for "Genuine Sony <model number> Battery" on either eBay or Amazon and a 4 year old model is a perfect candidate for somebody to be dumping them.  Knock off batteries often cause more headaches that they were worth.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

There are a couple of things wrong here.  The voltage and amperage are too low.  The amperage, which is the most important figure, is only 2.6A.

This probably isn't going to matter since you are going to need to replace the power adapter, but I suspect your heating problem is due to either a incorrect connector for this laptop or the connector is defective.  A loose connection can generate this type of heat.

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2017 - 11:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users