Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

choosing save location

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lermanuel

Lermanuel

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

When I save from some sites or using some programs, the command to save sends automatically to a certain location, without asking where to send, and not even showing where it is sending to. How can I set it up to offer choice of location and first rename the file?  Is there a way to set it up to first offer the last location saved to? 

Edited by Lermanuel, 29 December 2017 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:09 AM

Windows 7 Downloads Folder.

Louis

#3 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Thanks, this is useful.  It offers how to change default location. The list of other "how to's" offers other default options.  But what I want is preempt the default save.  Mostly when I click to download, a box comes up allowing renaming and choosing the location before saving.  But some simply send to the default folder, which costs much extra time to then go to the folder, rename file, and finally move it to the desired folder.  Is there a way to set up to get the rename and choose location option before the save?  i use Windows 7 and Firefox.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

I think there is an option to let you choose.  I was going to suggest Hamluis' idea again, however, it also depends upon what non-Windows (3rd party) programs and what non-Windows (3rd party) utilities are being used to download things -- because very often, such items have their own download box. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Lermanuel

Lermanuel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

I've looked at Hamluis' link, and links from that page.  What idea were you going to suggest? 

An example:  I used Firefox addon "Download Youtube Videos as MP4", and it offered the rename and choose location options.  But that addon has been disabled.  The one I use now is "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.)", which would be the best if it didn't do a blind default.  It will usually send to the default Windows downloads folder, but once in a while it will indicate it has downloaded, but the file is not found in the default folder, and I don't know where it went. 

Edited by Lermanuel, 30 December 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

I have never used those you-tube downloaders you just mentioned; others will have to advise you on those.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users