Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FORGOT PASSWORD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hi!

I have a new Dell XPS desktop computer that I am ready for my husband to set up for me to replace a Dell OptiPlex.

We've had it for awhile, but, due to the remodeling our house & just being busy with our jobs & lives, we have not

yet set it up to replace the OptiPlex.  Now, towards the end of this summer, he set it up on his side of the office, ran updates, & loaded certain free features. 

The new computer has Windows 10.  He set up a password to get into the computer.  Well, unfortunately, now that I am

ready to change computers, he has forgotten the password.  He wrote it down but does not know where the piece of paper is.

He downloaded one program called Windows Password Key Standard.  It hasn't helped.

Tonight, we downloaded a Password Recovery 5.0 program that I found on the bleepingcomputer website. (It is a 30-day trial with a money-back guarantee.) We downloaded it on my old computer & saved it to a flash drive.  He could not get it to work in the new computer. 

We are back to square one.  We don't know what to do.  Any suggestions?

NCSUWolfie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

Was this a local password or a Microsoft Account password that uses your email to set up the account password?

If a Microsoft account password go here to reset.

If a local password download Lazesoft Recovery My Password Home. Run the program to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings first. Tapping F12 on a Dell gives you a boot menu to select your boot device.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

I recommend to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and work with it to reset your user account password. Pressing the reset/unlock button will enable the Administrator account. Exit out of the Lazesoft boot disk and reboot. Login to the Administrator account.

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,648 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:30 PM

JohnC_21 has given you excellent advice, which he's offered previously.  The following threads may be of interest to you in light of your problem:

Cant log into windows 10.

Need help with password.

I can't hack or bypass Windows 10 password with Hiren...

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Thank you, both!  I have always received good advice when I have posted a topic.

We have downloaded the suggested program & will let you know what happens.

#5 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

HI!

We downloaded the Lazesoft program that was suggested.  We put it on my old Dell computer, & we loaded it on a flash drive.  Now, we only used the free program.  We did not upgrade after it scanned our computer & told us everything that needed to be fixed. 

Charles tried the program on the problematic computer.  He could not get it to work. 

I forgot to read the part about the administrator feature to him.  Anyway, he has tried various things. 

He has tried to reset it.  It seemed to work.  He created two passwords & thought it was fixed.  It wasn't.  He tried to boot up the computer, & it moved very slowly.  It froze up.  He was unable to get back in it. 

We bought the computer two years ago, & he has done a system restore reset it back to when it came to us in November, 2015.  (Long story as to why we have not had it out & set up before now.)  We are trying to see if this works.

We are geeks who have learned via our jobs.  Usually, we can learn from y'all or a few other techies
what to do & get everything back up & running.  This has been our biggest challenge.    

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

You can recover your data if need be and then do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool but you would need to reinstall all your programs. Because the Windows 10 license is a digital entitlement on Microsoft servers your activation will be automatic once online. What OS did the problematic computer have before being upgraded to Windows 10? 

Is there data you need on the computer? Lazesoft should have been able to enable the hidden Administrator Account. Passwords did not have to be created, only the hidden Administrator Account enabled.

#7 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Thank you for your quick reply & your patience! 

The problematic computer came with Windows 10 on it.  We received a free subscription to Dropbox, so we set that up in July.
Charles says other icons appear for other programs, but they are apparently teasers.  He said, if you click on them, a message pops up with how much it costs to purchase them.  So....we really don't have many programs on it. 

We overlooked the directions you gave for Lazesoft.  They were underneath the Lazesoft link, & I never went back to them.  That's our fault.  Following them probably would have solved the problem.

The computer was purchased in November of 2015.  We were undergoing a big house renovation at that time.  We both work fulltime.   Anyway, the house renovation was finally complete in April, & we have been putting things back together. 

My husband started setting the computer up in late July.  I've been the holdup in letting it replace my current desktop because I didn't have all my files removed from the current desktop.  I've finally done it, &, well, he forgot the password for that one.....AND that's why I am in touch with y'all.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Just to confirm, you have personal data on the problematic computer you need recovered? I would clean install with the latest version of Windows 10 after recovering your data. Use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. The preferable method is to download the iso. From the iso you can burn a DVD or create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. If you use Rufus make sure you select GPT scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon, and browse to the iso file you downloaded using the Media Creation Tool.

Here is a guide for clean installing Windows. It's for Windows 8 but you would follow the same steps for Windows 10.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If you decide to login to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account it's a good idea to also create a local account to login to.

#9 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Fortunately, no, we don't have anything on the problematic computer (Dell XPS).  There is absolutely NOTHING on it.  No files.  No data of any sort.

My husband has been preparing it to replace an old desktop (the OptiPlex 3010). 

I've actually been saving files from the old desktop to a second external hard drive.  The first external hard drive is getting full & has some age on it,

so he ordered another for me.  I've been putting all my files on those hard drives.  They are all there now.  That's why I'm ready to use the new computer, but
Charles freakishly has forgotten the password he set up for it. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

You may be able to do a full reset using the below method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Once at the Troubleshoot menu you can reset with the option to remove everything.

#11 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

If what Charles is doing doesn't work, we will try this.  Continued thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users