Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen: "Your Computer ... Locked" during boot; computer NOT locked

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dslomer64

dslomer64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Today, while restarting from hibernation, my laptop (Dell N7010  running Windows 7 (64-bit)) was showing a blue screen (as in "of death") with several words shown in a large white font. I only saw it briefly then password screen appeared. The words I saw on the blue screen said "Your Computer is(?) Locked". Since I successfully used it (still am), I put the message in the back of my mind. 

Several hours later, I put my laptop into hibernation again. When it came out, the password screen said that my computer was locked (attachment: "lock.gif"). That reminded me that I saw that this morning, too. But with no problem signing in, I had ignored it. Also, I watched closely but saw no blue screen with big "Computer Locked" message after this second hibernation.

I don't know what to make of this.

In between those hibernations, I Googled "booting windows 7 i saw blue screen with 'your computer has been locked' but my computer is NOT LOCKED" .

Bleeping was near the top of the hits. But Malwarebytes wouldn't let me go to the first hit because "Malwarebytes blocked a suspected bad URL or an unwanted program." Here's the URL: https://www.pcrisk.com/download-reimage; also, see attached "mal.gif". 

So there's THAT on top of the blue screen with "Your Computer ... Locked" and twice finding "Locked" above the password box.

I'm speechless.

Clearly Malwarebytes Premium (3.1.1) is taking care of me, It's automatically kept up-to-date and last scan overnight showed nothing treacherous.

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials (1.259.858.0). But last scan was 10/12/17. I have it scheduled weekly to do full scan but apparently it never finishes. I have ignored it because Malwarebytes has my back. But I'll schedule for daily; see what happens. Maybe reinstall...

Finally, I have Windows Firewall running. It has an a box saying "Check for solutions to unreported problems" but NONE of the five items listed were reported to Microsoft. (See the problems at end of post.) Anytime I've ever clicked "Check for solutions", an info dialog pops up saying, "Problem reporting", "Checking for solutions". It just "finished", saying "Problem connecting to Windows error reporting service." That's always the message. I never get any info about solutions.

So it appears I don't have a problem with malware (but with programs supposedly protecting me from it!)

I guess this is one of those wait-and-see things.

Dave Slomer

============================================
Windows Firewall Problems found but not reported:

Problem Event Name: MpTelemetry  11/28/17

Problem Signature 01: 2152759308      
Problem Signature 02: unspecified
Problem Signature 03: ScanFile
Problem Signature 04: 4.9.218.0
Problem Signature 05: Microsoft Security Essentials (EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094)
Problem Signature 06: unspecified
Problem Signature 07: unspecified
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 (same for all other problems)

Problem Event Name: MpTelemetry  12/6/17
Problem Signature 01: Microsoft Security Essentials (EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7094)
Problem Signature 02: 4.9.218.0
Problem Signature 03: TimeOut
Problem Signature 04: 1.1.14306.0
Problem Signature 05: fixed
Problem Signature 06: 4 / 2049+
Problem Signature 07: 5 / not boot

Problem Event Name: MpTelemetry  10/6/17
Problem Signature 01: 0x8007045b
Problem Signature 02: ValidateUpdate
Problem Signature 03: N/A
Problem Signature 04: 1.1.14146.0
Problem Signature 05: mpsigstub.exe
Problem Signature 06: 4.9.218.0
Problem Signature 07: Microsoft Antimalware (Beijing) 
                                            ********* HUH??
Description                      6/27/17
A problem caused this program (explorer.exe--see below) to stop interacting with Windows.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppTermFailureEvent
Files that help describe the problem
explorer.exe.atk.kdmp
AppCompat.txt

Description                     12/4/17
Windows Backup failure (Yeah; Backup hasn't worked since 2011, so I wrote my own.)
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WindowsBackupFailure
Operation: Backup
AppVer: 6.1.7601
HRESULT: 0x810000e2
TargetType: 11

Attached Files

• Attached File  mal.GIF   12.27KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  lock.GIF   62.62KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

I do suspect that the Malwarebytes notification is not related. You just clicked a potentially malicious link. Your issue could be malware-related, but I can't tell from your description.

Anyway, please follow these  instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 dslomer64

dslomer64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

I didn't get the BSOD--just BS: Blue Screen--same color as BSOD but not BSOD. No return codes. On the screen was written in huge letters "Your computer is locked". But it's not. And I've not seen the "locked" message ever since. However, I do worry that the "locked" message might be a precursor of worse stuff. I back up a lot more often than ever before and I hope to find a way to make a password disk. But I'm not sure I should go through the BSOD posting procedure since that's not what I had.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

The BSOD Posting app gathers about 25 system file reports that provide detailed system info. I suggest that you run it.

Also, what did you mean by this - "Yeah; Backup hasn't worked since 2011, so I wrote my own.)" -?

What did you write exactly?

You have had no Windows Updates in the last 7 years? That is dangerous. You should have well over 200 Windows Updates by now. Many of them are security related -- patching the kernel against security vulnerabilities.

Have you given thought to reinstalling Windows 7?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 03 January 2018 - 11:06 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

The BSOD Posting app gathers about 25 system file reports that provide detailed system info. I suggest that you run it.

Ditto. :)

In post one you claimed that you got a ‘blue screen (as in "of death"),’ and now you say you got no BSOD? So you really didn’t get a BSOD?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users